Sunday, August 10, 2014

Perfectly Seasoned Steak

I'm a big fan of BBQ's and grilling, but sometimes I want a simpler way to cook my steak without having to heat the grill, go outside in the blazing Arizona sun, and then clean the grill later. For me, that's broiling. I find that it gives me richer flavor and only takes a fraction of the time. First, you need a good piece of meat. I prefer grass fed steak and get mine from a local farmer, but the grass fed variety in grocery stores these days is pretty good too. If you can, however, I recommend supporting your local farmer friends and purchasing directly from them. There's my PSA for the day. Thank you, thank you very much.

Once you've allowed your steak to defrost fully, evenly sprinkle across it:

  • Sea salt
  • Rosemary
  • Basil
  • Oregano
  • Thyme
  • Paprika (careful with the amount on this one)
Depending on your personal preference add more or less of each of the items. Remember, less is more in many cases, but with most of these you can go heavier. Let the seasoned steaks sit in your fridge and soak in the seasonings for at least an hour, but longer if you can. 

When you're ready to get cooking, put your oven on broil and give it a few minutes to heat up. It's important to have your oven rack right about in the middle of the oven, but this, of course, varies by oven type. Be sure, however, to place your steaks on a broiler pan as this allows them to cook more evenly. There's a lot of debate around leaving the oven jar open for broiling, but I have personally found it to be better if I close my oven door.

Then, depending on the size and thickness of your steaks, set a timer for anywhere from 6 -12 minutes. Again, this varies on the steak sizes, so if you're unsure go with a smaller time frame at first. Remember: You can always cook them longer, but you can never cook them less. After the timer goes off, check your steak by cutting into the thickest section of it. Normally, I like to flip mine over for roughly 4 more minutes of cooking to get it just where I like it, which is medium-rare.

Once it's at the point you like, pull it out and let it sit for a couple of minutes before serving. Enjoy!

No comments: