Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday Mantra: Gratitude Your attitude

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Gratitude your attitude
You know when bad things happen they tend to always be in threes? Well, mine have been happening in six and three fourths and I'm ready to move underground and live like the Ninja Turtles. Which would never work because I don't have a sensai (rat or otherwise), I don't have a sewer water resistant shell, and I can only eat gluten free pizza, which I'm pretty sure they would never deliver to me down there. Even my Save Yourself plans are failing me.

Lately, I've been way too focused on these less-than-perfect things happening. While they suck and I would prefer not to deal with them, I have to keep myself in check and remember how fortunate I am. I have to Gratitude My Attitude.

I have a friend that once described her worries as "first world white people problems". That may be the best description I've ever heard. While we all do have major life events that are much more difficult to deal with, like a death or a house burning down or being diagnosed with a terminal illness, we more often take the small, every day "normal" issues (and even sometimes self inflicted problems like negative thinking) and blow everything out of proportion. We make these very manageable, very insignificant-in-the-big-scheme-of-things items, seem like the end of the world.


So what if my neighbor shattered my sliding glass door and won't pay for it causing me to spend a small fortune to get it fixed? Yes, it sucks. But there are people who have no homes to worry about at all. There are people who would give anything to have my kind of worries.

Take 5

To correct my little attitude issue, I'm using my old tried and true method that got me through actual major life events. I call it the Take 5 Method. Every morning and every night I find 5 things I am thankful for. A new five every single time (no cheating!) and tonight I'm starting with you. Thank you, loyal readers, for being here with me every week. Thank you for your kinds words, your patience, your understanding, and your support. Thank you for your friendship.

Next week I promise to be a more grateful version of myself.

Related Posts
Monday Mantra: I Will Be Thankful
Breaking Free from the Broken Record

Facebook
Twitter

No comments: