Monday, May 23, 2016

In the World of Wellness: Things That Make You Go Yum

Wellness is a term widely used that has multiple meanings around health and positive life style changes leading to well-being. Here we will use the term "wellness" in those ways and also as a means of defining a life free from dis-ease as well as a way to explore alternative medicines, what they offer, and what this could mean for you. Being more informed = better decisions for your own well-being.

In the World of Wellness: Things that make you go oh, oh, oh.


My New Favorite Breakfast
I haven't had a whole lot of time (or desire) to cook lately, which is a-okay because I've found this remarkable rather newish almond milk, Califia. I had pretty much given up entirely on cereals and dairy alternatives because, regardless of the vast quantity of gluten free and healthy options, I just didn't really care for any of them. Baking with some of them- totally fine. Drinking them straight or using them with some form of cereal...egh. Until I ran across this little beauty a while back.

I've tried a few of the flavors, including the unsweetened vanilla almond milk, which is admittedly healthier, however, the sweetened vanilla, in my personal opinion, is the best. In fact, based on how it sells out all the freaking time causing me to have to plan my shopping trips on the day of delivery also tells me that a lot of other people prefer this version.

I'm not a big cereal person, either. Many cereal options out there are full of junk, even some of the ones that are supposed to be healthy. That being said, I stumbled upon a gem, y'all. Qi'a cereals are my new favorite, the original option (chia, hemp, buckwheat) being the one I find most delicioso.

While the hemp and buckwheat have clear benefits, what sold me was the chia seeds. Did you know that chia seeds are crazy good for you, great for energy, and weirdly delicious when soaked in juice, or in almond milk for breakfast? Well, now you do. I won't go into all the details, but if you want a good, easy article on all the healthy benefits, click here. The easiest thing to do when making this cereal in the morning is to allow about 15 minutes for the almond milk to soak into the cereal. You want the chia seeds to get fluffy, for lack of a better word. You'll know what I mean after you've done it once. I also like cutting up a banana and putting some slices in the cereal. It adds a little extra oomph, if you know what I mean. *wink wink* I don't even know what I mean, never mind. It's yummy. There.

If you get hooked on chia seeds in particular, like I have, you can also buy a bag of the seeds and add them to your water or juice. They make for a good mid-day energy pick-me-up!

Basically what I'm saying is you all need to try these two products because I'm selfish and I want them to stay in business forever. Also, kids, don't forget to eat your vegetables. I just wanted to throw that in there for good measure so no one yells at me because I didn't find a way to incorporate spinach into this mix. You're welcome.

Califia almond milk + Qi'a cereal = YUM! 


No comments: