Friday, September 15, 2017

The Reflection of Shadows: Barren

The Reflection of Shadows
A collection of moments
Barren

You, the taker,
The indulger,
The enthusiast of more-

Why do you remain?

You drank from my well of goodness and kindness-
Now it's run dry.

You ate the wheat of my fields, the fruit of my gardens
Leaving nothing for me but starvation.

No lush leaves shall adorn my rose bushes.
Only thorns remain,
Dried and dangerously sharp due to years of drought
And constant expectation.

No aroma of lilies shall tint the air for dust is all that settles here,
And stirs in the ever-changing winds of your choices.

The hot demanding sun continues to rise,
Yet I know the clouds of compassion and virtue hover in some far off sky
Somewhere else, with someone else, more deserving than I.

You, the destroyer of hope,
You have overseeded my soil, once healthy and rewarding
Now, with no life left to offer.

You, the betrayer of promise,
Have set fire to my plains,
Torching what little I had left to give.

You, who does not know the meaning of moderation,
Of gratitude,
Of hard work and effort-
You have made me barren.

Nothing shall grow here again.


No comments: