Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday Mantra: Turn In

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: When the outside world's too much, turn in to find the answers.
Melia Metikos Society 6
We live in a very loud, very watchful, very curious world. We live in a very extroverted world that allows us to share ourselves through an identity created through the Internet. We have unlimited access to data, 24/7. This constant ability to tune in to absolutely everything going on, in every inch of the world, can be exhausting. It can be overwhelming without us even realizing it. Worst of all, it can give us a false sense of being connected when we're only truly connected to a computer, not to each other, not even to ourselves.

All of this Instant Action keeps us informed of the here and now. The problem is, if we stay that tuned in all the time we lose a sense of self. We deprive ourselves of much needed quiet time away from the world and everyone in it. We lose valuable time to think, really think, the long, deep important thoughts.

The other night I was alone at my grandmothers house when I was having one of my long overdue Deep Thinking Moments. I was sitting there, in the darkness and the silence, when I decided to jot down some notes on what I would like myself to look like as a whole. What my ideal version of me would be.

At the end of writing everything down, I had this little ah-ha moment. A moment that explained these last several months of the funk I've been in. It finally dawned on me why I was so unhappy. It wasn't necessarily a person or a thing of even just one situation that was weighing on me. It was an accumulation of a feeling that what I was doing wasn't meaningful.

When I think of all of my "dream jobs", my favorite hobbies, and the things I would love to study in school for the rest of my life (which is how long it would take me), they all have one underlining theme- they would make a difference, one way or another. They would be meaningful to someone, somewhere, somehow.

When I realized I didn't have that right now, or at least that I didn't have control over that aspect necessarily, I suddenly understood this darkness that I've been feeling. And just like that, what was left of the darkness lifted. It was like a storm breaking after a hard rain- I had finally found my way out of this feeling of being lost within myself. I found what I needed to focus on: Finding a way to be meaningful in my thoughts, words, and deeds.

I started today's thought process out with turning in and tuning out the world because it's due to having time this weekend cut off from so much noise that I was able to take time to focus in and see what I needed to uncover. I honestly hadn't had that in a very long time. Or, more likely, I hadn't let myself have that time.

Even if you do have that break from constant access to everything, it can hard to shut out the world and sit with your own silence. To hear your own loud thoughts of good and bad and right and wrong. What if this and what if that. Your own thoughts can be the most terrifying things in the world.

But...they are powerful. They are important. And it is necessary, more so now than ever before, to listen to yourself and shut out the world.

Take some time to get away from everything- from people, from technology, from absolutely everything. Get away and focus inward and you will find your way to the answers you seek.

Tune out the world and turn in.

Find what it is that you want.



No comments: