Sunday, May 25, 2014

Monday Mantra: That's How The Light Gets In

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

"The hardest thing in the world is to live in it." - Buffy Summers

Sometimes I think the world is too broken to be repaired. Sometimes I think there's no hope. Sometimes, when I feel broken, these are the things I play over in my mind.

One thing that always pulls me back to my home base of hope and happiness is wonderment and the belief that there is more than what I see or know. In those moments I go outside, look up at the sky, and run through a fantasy list of "what ifs." What if I had super powers, what if there is another me on another planet, but with a different life, what if, what if? As crazy as that sounds, it always leads me to think about the things I do know to be true that are so mind blowing they, too, almost seem impossible.

For example, the human body is the most perfect, amazing, fantastic machine ever created. It is designed to function with our surroundings so that air from the trees and plants from the earth give us what we need to survive. It is so perfectly planned that I cannot help but marvel at the genius behind it. I've never dreamed or created anything as fantastical as this. I can't even imagine where I would begin just to try and match it. Even when we neglect or damage these perfect machines, they keep trying beyond all comprehensible thought to thrive, to survive. 

Or when I look at my little dog, so full of emotion and love and beauty, I can't help but wonder. We are two completely different beings. The only language we share is love and yet somehow that is enough. 

Or like this research by Dr. Masaru Emoto that shows how water reacts to different songs being played, different prayers being chanted, and different photographs being shown to it. Water. Water reacts differently to different things. And since we're mostly made up of water, that makes this research all the more fascinating.  Studies that show how our tears of joy are completely different than our tears of happiness. Think about that for a moment. Without these other raw emotions, everything in-between happy and sad, our tears would look the same. This, then, wouldn't seem that impressive at all. And the tears of grief…how exact. They resemble a barren wasteland where nothing, not even hope, can live.

Because of things like this, it's impossible for me to imagine that nothing else exists beyond us, beyond this place, beyond what we think we know. Beyond our sometimes broken promises and broken dreams. I need those moments that make me hope with all the might of my heart that there is more to everything than I understand. Only in those moments of wonder do I feel, ironically, certain.

I go outside, look up at the sky, and realize how breathtakingly magical this world is. Made even more beautiful by it's broken pieces and us, our sometimes broken selves.

I can't help but wonder if, at some point, everything must break to let the light of discovering the impossible in.

No comments: