Monday, May 19, 2014

Monday Mantra: Satisfaction

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Action is the way

Society 6
I always thought the mark of being an adult could be acquired with one swift move. Something so accurate that, once done, I would feel it hit my bones and grab my soul and poof - I would officially be an adult. I would be the thing I had been trying to be my whole, little kid life.

I thought the key to this was in the simple purchase of a tape measure. I had seen my mother, my grandparents, and all of their friends with it and, in my mind, it was an absolute necessity to being a real, legit grown up. It was one of the very first things I bought for my apartment to solidify my adult status.

"There," I thought. "Now I am officially an adult. Now I've got it all together, I've got everything I need, it's all figured out, I will be satisfied."

But I am never satisfied.

Nothing is ever that simple.

Nothing is ever enough.

Every time I reach a goal that I've set for myself, I immediately turn around and set my sights on a new challenge, another thing to be/do/accomplish, and I'm right back where I started. Ground zero.

This is both a blessing and a curse. It drives me to work harder, try new things, and never settle, never give up. But it's also the reason I alternate between being a blonde, a brunette (and most recently, a redhead) and why I go to school forever and ever, learning everything from architecture to medicine. I am never satisfied.

Because of this, of me being me, I've decided the only way to any satisfaction is hidden in the word itself. I must take action to find satisfaction. And when I've lost it, once again as I always do and always will, I must take new actions. It must be a wheel, ever turning, of yearning to grow, planting the seeds, reaching my goal...and starting all over again.

Action is the way.

No comments: