Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Monday (Er, Tuesday…nope, nope. Didn't make that either...Wednesday) Mantra: Perspective

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Keeps things in perspective


I've learned a lot about myself these last  72 96 hours.

For example, I can survive off of 3 hours of sleep a night. Not well, and I don't make any sense or do things correctly, but hey, I'm alive, so that's the good news. I learned that I appreciate really weird things, like notifications from my electric company on my crazy usage thanks to moving and having to leave the doors wide open all day long in summer- in the desert! And how much I like the better and far more stylish shopping cart returns at the Lowe's by my house, which I now frequent hourly. Or - the best one - (Folks, you might want to sit down for this) how I managed to find the the only house in Arizona that doesn't have wiring for Internet hookup, resulting in a two week unwanted No Internet ban because a special permit has to be attained through the city just for my house.

Oh, the joys of moving. Which is why this is happening on Tuesday Wednesday instead of Monday.

Thanks to the Universe trying to kill me and ruin my life (movers broke my furniture, painter didn't have a chance to finish because carpets weren't dry from cleaning because prior owners failed to mention/demonstrate how filthy/smelly their carpets were by masking it with what must have been a gigantic bottle of Febreeze and fancy interior furnishings) I have become somewhat cranky and ungrateful.

But the Universe put everything right back into perspective for me, too.

The other night I found out that my dear, dear friend was going to have emergency surgery. A big, scary surgery.

Poof.

Just like that, all my stupid and angry and irritating things didn't matter at all. I can replace almost everything, but I can't replace her.

It's so easy to get caught up in the little things that feel big. They feel huge and monstrous and awful. Until something that actually is huge and monstrous and awful comes along. Then your perspective changes.

For me, and maybe this would work for you too, next time something feels disastrous, I'm going to really pause a moment and weigh the situation out. Is it really that bad? Or does it just feel like it in the moment? I'm sure this will save us all a lot of grief and unnecessary stress.

Of course I need to throw in a Public Service Announcement, which is: Spend time with the ones you love. EVERYTHING else can wait.

With that, my friends, I'm taking a few weeks off from the blog. I'll miss you, but there are some things I need to attend to. Take care of yourselves and the ones you love. Everything else can wait.

No comments: