Monday, September 15, 2014

Monday Mantra: You Get To Choose

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Choose wisely how you see things

  • Where is the good in this situation?
  • How could I react differently to this?
  • Am I being mindFULL or am I being mindful? 

These are the questions I've been asking myself lately, because lately I've had (what is best described from Lemony Snicket) a series of unfortunate events. Even after I tried putting things into a new perspective for myself, more and more and more things went wrong and ultimately broke the good vibe I had created. I've been cranky and angry and have even burst into a fit of tears in the middle of my flooded bathroom while squeaking out profanities and threats about burning my new house down.

Needless to say, I have been filling my mind with quite unlovely thoughts. 

There is a multitude of information on the differences between mindFULLness and mindfulness, so I won't go into a lot of detail about that. Simply stated: MindFULL is a waste of brain space. It's filling your head with absolutely every thought possible, whether or not they actually apply to you, the situation, or your life and taking each of them as FACT. Mindful is watching your thoughts ride by you on a conveyor belt and choosing only the ones that are TRUE and RIGHT for your life. The rest are discarded.

To ensure I would start acting like the grownup that I am once and for all, I made myself repeat this one word internally and slowly every time something went wrong (which, in my defense, has been every single day since living in the new house): Mindful. 

I would draw out the syllables and picture myself in a quiet space, giving myself 5 slow seconds to breathe and focus on reviewing the situation once more and choosing what came next rather than just reacting. I believe it's working since I didn't buy matches or gasoline when I came home from vacation to find a roof leak that messed up the family room. The Universe is testing me, y'all, I'm telling you..it's testing me.

Life. A series of events, both good and bad, all that require a second glance and a chance to change your thoughts. Is it a mistake or a lesson? A disaster or an opportunity for you to rise triumphantly? The worst thing to ever happen to you or a blip of almost nothing in the long span of life? 

The beauty of life is this: You get to choose. 

I will continue working on choosing lovely thoughts. Even if I have to burn up the ugly ones first.

P.S. / Updates: Eventually I'll get to Secret #3 in The Book of Secrets series…once I figure out which box the book is in. Also, I'm going to make some edits to the site over the next few weeks, so if you get on here and it looks a little whacky, I, uh , probably broke it. 


No comments: