Monday, March 28, 2016

Monday Mantra: Lessons on Living and Dying

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Quit waiting

Society6
A Beautiful Death
The secret to life: this, this one thought, has plagued millions of people. Is it love, kindness, compassion? Is it power, control, anti aging products? Is it within ourselves, in our shopping carts, anywhere in this world at all?

I would venture a guess that the "right" answer significantly depends on who the person is that's asking the question. We all want different things, after all.

I don't know what the secret of life may mean to you, but I know what it means to me: The difference between living and dying without having ever really lived. The difference between waiting and taking action.

I spent my childhood years in a nursing home, day in and day out. Even after those days ended, death certainly didn't. Dying isn't an experience saved for the sick and elderly. Death comes out of nowhere, when you least expect it, when you haven't prepared yourself in the slightest.

Far too many people wait. To apologize, to reach out, to have an adventure. Far too many people live life as if it's something that can be controlled; leashed and harnessed and made to obey.

Trust me when I tell you there is no greater mistake you can make than thinking this way.

Do you want to know what the secret to life is? Living.

Fully. Completely. Wholeheartedly.

Dive into the things you love: gardening, singing, dancing. Experience the world now, not later. Later is an empty promise. Later is not guaranteed, and that I can guarantee.

Live.

Live now.

I've been to far too many funerals. I've seen hopes and dreams vanish in a split second because life didn't wait. Life never waits.

Trust me when I tell you this is the only secret to life you need.

Go.

Go now.




No comments: