Monday, October 23, 2017

Monday Mantra: #MeToo. You too? How will we change?

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Stand up (for yourself, for someone else) 
Society6
Eden Chubb
A while back I wrote this post about mindfulness in the business world. While it focused on important topics such as diversity and inclusion, it also discussed harassment in the workplace. In particular, it included a story of a time when I was sexually harassed and what I did after the fact to fight back.

I suppose sexually assaulted would be more accurate, since it was physical in nature. I suppose I should also have said that wasn't the only time I ran into that kind of inappropriate treatment from a male manager at work. I suppose, sadly, most of you have also had this happen.

I didn't go into all the details of the situation because, legally, I can't, but what I will tell you is this: back then, it didn't get talked about very much. It didn't get addressed like it should have, even after the lawyer calls and the EEOC visits. 

What makes it a hot topic now? Is it because 2017 has been a ridiculous year full of insane and ridiculous things with a president that has said and done his own fair share of inappropriate things? Is that why more people are on high alert? Is it because celebrities, at least more than in prior instances, have started speaking up? What has changed that so many people are suddenly listening, paying attention, waking up to something that has been there all along?

I don't know. I don't know, but I hope it continues. I hope people keep waking up and fighting to fix what is so ridiculously broken.

I hope accountability for actions becomes so normal and so serious that the people who act in these lewd and cruel ways are fearful. Fearful in the sense that they wouldn't just think twice before saying or doing something they shouldn't, they would think three, four, fifteen times before doing anything at all. That they would be in fear of what would happen to them if they did because, finally, the laws of the land would favor the victims instead of the vile, the egotistical, the "I'll get away with it" attitudes of the evil. 

More so, more importantly, I hope conversations are happening that help to prevent this behavior completely. I hope fathers are talking to sons about the right way to treat woman. I hope men are talking to other men and calling them out on their shit when they do something shady and lewd and wrong to a female friend, a female co-worker, anyone. I hope parents and schools start teaching, talking, educating kids so that this stops happening completely. 

I hope we eradicate this behavior entirely.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The time for excuses is over. 

The time for change is now. 

This is a hot topic right now, so I won't take more of your time with this post. There are far worst stories out there that should be heard. There are far more people that need help - still, today - because it's happening to them. Both women and men. But, on that point, I do want to call out this very insightful article that I, personally, appreciated. 

I leave you with this powerful excerpt from this poignant article citing Jackson Katz:

"We talk about how many women were raped last year, not about how many men raped women. We talk about how many girls were harassed in a school district, not about how many boys harassed girls. 

It shifts the focus off of men and boys and on to women and girls. Even the term 'violence against women' is problematic. It's a passive constriction; there's no active agent in the sentence. It's a bad thing that happens to women, but when you look at that term 'violence against women,' nobody is doing it to them. It just happens to them...men aren't even a part of it!"

If you're interested, here are a few more articles that share perspectives, hope, and ways to enact change.
  - This touching post from Jim Beaver, where he poignantly calls out why this is a much bigger issue than some might realize: "...the painful truth is that we live in a world where women are *expected* to put up with such things." 
 - This excellently written post: To The Men on the Other Side of #MeToo 
 - And this heartfelt movement: #HowIWillChange 
 - And, finally, this article on the topic of why it shouldn't be up to survivors to call out the issue at hand


No comments: