Monday, June 25, 2018

Update + Practice of Free Thinking

I've decided to tone down how often I post items on here for the time being. While I love writing for a multitude of reasons, I've become too focused on how often I write instead of why I write. Being creative isn't something that should be forced or scheduled; it's something that should spring forth naturally. Therefore, I'm giving my well of creativity a chance to replenish itself to see what may come.

Today's post is an exercise in free thinking; unstructured, sporadic, clumsy, natural.
Author: Unknown

1. My best thinking is done right before I fall asleep. In the pitch blackness of the bedroom, when silence is the softest sound and thoughts bubble to the surface.

2. With any book or movie that's portrayed an apocalyptic after world, I immediately have the same thought: I would want to be one of the the people left behind/left alive. Not because I think I'm actually capable of surviving say, zombies, but because I would want to see and experience what comes next. I don't so much care for a new world, much like I have no desire to live on Mars. But I do want to see my world - the world I've known - after the fact. I want my thirst of curiosity to be quenched.


3. I still strongly dislike #hashtags. As I'm learning, the world - in certain ways - revolves around them. When it comes to business and marketing, they're somewhat crucial. It's an odd thing, really, a hashtag. 

2018: emoji's and hashtags and so many acronyms you can't keep up. 

(Sometimes I wonder if we're devolving.) 

4. When I was a teenager, I absolutely loved the movie Gleaming the Cube. I haven't thought about it in years. 

It's strange, how things you once loved evaporate from your mind.

5. Parenting is weird. It only takes you nine months to become a parent. That's not a lot of time to prepare. You can't get a college degree for anything in nine months, but you're fine after that amount of time to raise a human? And you're not even required to get any kind of education or training, either. It's truly bizarre when you stop to consider it.

6. Change means: You have to be willing to be uncomfortable. You have to want that more than you want comfort.

7. Over the last several years I've become more and more and more impassioned about certain causes. I've become more of an activist, I suppose. I've always cared, but I care in different, deeper ways. 

It is, at times, uncomfortable. The world will love or hate you for your opinion simply because their opinion matches or does not match your own. This isn't how opinions are supposed to work. Social media has given rise to a lack of patience, respect, and candid yet safe conversations with one another in real life, not on keyboards.

8. I like this person that I've become, that I'm still becoming.

Now, things matter in completely different ways. 

I like that.

No comments: