Sunday, May 20, 2012

A Paleo Breakfast

I'm sure you've all heard of the term "Paleo" now, either by reading this blog or just because it's become a very popular lifestyle, for not only people who want/need to be gluten free, but for those that desire a healthier life.

Paleo, broken down to it's very simplest form, is a lifestyle diet of meat, vegetables, fruit, seeds and nuts, and healthy fats (olive oil, coconut oil). What is not included are starches of any kind and sugar. This is a very clean, very food-based approach to eating. There are many variations of the Paleo lifestyle. Some are very strict as far as what types of meat, what type of fruit and veggies, can be consumed. Those generally tend to limit all sugars, even honey, in some cases.

Some incorporate more homestyle cooking into their approach, with gluten free ways to make things like quiche or nut flour based breads. Those tend to be more favorable as they allow a healthy, yet very diverse range to what can be eaten. I, personally, fall into the second category. I like options and I've found a lot of wonderful recipes that are incredibly good for you and delicious. Whatever the approach is, a Paleo lifestyle does promote better health by eliminating unhealthy and processed foods.

Now to the recipes!

This first one I basically discovered one day when I was starving and out of my normal vegetables that I use with my scrambled eggs. I had plenty of eggplant left over from making my eggplant recipe the night before, so I added it in and WOW. I am now a huge fan of eggplant and eggs, scrambled up together.

Scrambled Eggplant Eggs 
Two Servings

6 large eggs
1/3 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil, for cooking
1 cup of leftover Eggplant Goodness




1. Heat the oil in a pan at medium heat.
2. Whisk the eggs and black pepper together, until blended well.
3. Throw the eggplant into the pan and warm well. Add the eggs and scramble 'em up together.
4. Chow down.

Easy, right? So easy.

Because breakfast is my favorite meal of the day - or the night, or the whenever -  I have to throw this one in as well. Remember that time I made Paleo Pumpkin Pecan Pancakes and I couldn't give you a picture because of my limited flipping skills? Yeah, well, they're still limited, which is why I have no picture for the omelet, below. I'm sorry. I tried...I did.

Savory Omelet
Recipe taken from one of my very favorite cookbooks, The Garden of Eating, by Rachel Albert and Don Matesz.

Two Servings

6 large, free-range chicken eggs
2-3 teaspoons olive oil, for cooking
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 teaspoons honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Rinse eggs, crack, and add to a small bowl with the vanilla, honey, and cinnamon. Whisk until well blended.

2. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a heavy-bottom 12-13 inch stainless steel or cast iron pan. Tilt pan to completely cover the bottom and sides. When hot, but not smoking, whisk eggs again, pour into pan, and cook undisturbed, for 30 seconds.

3. Use a fork or thin bladed spatula to push edges of the egg mixture toward the center of the pan as they set; tilt pan so uncooked portion runs into empty spaces. Repeat. Remove from heat when eggs no longer run but are still moist and glossy, usually 2-3 minutes total.

4. Divide the omelet in half and serve immediately.


Related Posts
Eat Well, Feel Good: Practically Paleo Living Review and Recipes
Eggplant Goodness

Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google,
and found that it's truly informative. I'm gonna watch out for brussels.

I will be grateful if you continue this in future.

Lots of people will be benefited from your writing.
Cheers!
my website - Paleo Recipe Book Review