Sunday, April 8, 2012

Monday Mantra: Open the Book

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Show me what's under the cover

Don't judge a book by it's cover.
Last week at work I attended a training event around Diversity & Inclusion. This was by far the best thing I have ever attended in the 12 years that I've been here and, quite frankly, I'm impressed that we're taking the initiative to train all of our leaders with it. More places need it. More people need it. 

It touched on the more common things such as race, gender, and sexual preference, but it also touched on the smaller things. For example, how a person was raised or what they went through in life prior to you knowing them. It basically made you step back and give every single person another chance to show you who they are. In fact, it went along perfectly with last week's post about The 100/0 Principle. 

Anyway, along these very same lines is a post my friend did on his blog about Charlotte and Jonathan, two singers who were trying out on Britain's Got Talent. In his blog he says, "No amount of disfigurement, handicap, obesity, or even poor choices can remove a person's intrinsic value...every human being has an intrinsic worth that should not be overlooked based on their outward appearance or circumstance. "

I agree.

When I was watching the video of them singing, the first thing I noticed was the look on everyone's faces when they saw Jonathan. These looks of judgement and criticism before they even heard him sing. All because he was overweight. The moment he started singing, everyone in the crowd changed their own tune. By the end of it they were all standing, clapping, and cheering him on. Heck, people were even brought to tears by his voice! All because Jonathan, the person they had just judged on looks alone, could sing like it was nobody's business. 

I supposed this topic is near and dear to my heart right now because I just attended the training at work. Or maybe because in the training I realized I'm not so great at this non-judging thing myself. Even after studying mindfulness, I still mess this up sometimes. In ways I wasn't even aware of until recently. So really, this is as much a reminder for me as it is for everyone else.

Never go off of someone's appearance alone. Let them show you who they are in their thoughts, their actions, their personality, and perspective. I have met some of the most beautiful people outwardly, but once I got to know them, I saw how very unattractive they were on the inside. The inside is what counts. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Instead of seeing people with our eyes, we should feel them with our hearts. Then we will know the true person in front of us. 

Thoughts?

Related Posts

Follow Me on Pinterest

2 comments:

Mediocre Renaissance Man said...

Great post! I don't remember this one showing up in my feed reader... Hrm. Technology.

I think this "Monday Mantra" series is pretty good. Keep them coming!

Chantelle Says said...

That means a lot to me. Thank you, Brian!!