Sunday, May 20, 2012

Monday Mantra: Three Wishes


mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: I will wish for happiness


When I was a Sophomore in high school, my English teacher asked the whole class what we would wish for, if granted three wishes. One boy said, "A sports car, a million dollars, and an 'A' in this class."

The teacher then asked him why he had chosen those three things. He replied, "The car is cool, therefore I would be cool, I could buy whatever I wanted, and my parents would be happy I passed this class." 

The teacher dived a little deeper and asked, "How would you feel about all of those things coming true for you?"

The boy though about it for a minute and said, "Well...the car would be amazing, and if I can have whatever I want, then life will be good. If my folks are happy, well, then I'm happy, so...I guess I'd be happy about getting my three wishes."

"Then why" the teacher asked, "didn't you wish for happiness? Then -  no matter what happened in your life, no matter what you had or didn't have, did or didn't do - you would always be happy."

That made the entire room stop. All the giggles, all the "I would wish for that and this" stopped. 

Why didn't we all wish for happiness? 

Before that moment in class, I had never thought about what emotions came with what I wanted out of life. I never thought past the object, the desire, the want. I never realized it was all about how I felt or how I wanted to feel. 

That all I really wanted was happiness all along.

Every child's story ends with everyone living happily ever after. Every single day we seek out the things that make us happy. We would never choose our friends, our clothes, or our hairstyles if they made us anything but that.

In the end, happiness is the silent wish behind the spoken one. 

I invite you to think of your life, and what you want from it, with this question in mind: Will this bring me to my true goal of happiness?

Today my wish is for each of you to be happy. My wish is for your happiness, now and always. 

 What are you wishing for and why?


Related Posts

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments: