Monday, July 2, 2012

Monday Mantra: Oh Well

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Oh well
www.brainlesstales.com
Sometimes in life the only mantra you need to get yourself through any situation is this: Oh well.

I had to repeat that a lot last week when I had to travel for business, which is where all of my rather embarrassing moments stem from for your reading pleasure this week.

On my flight out of town, I got the tragic and dreadfully unwanted middle seat. Both folks, in the far better window and aisle seats, decided we would all be friends for the entire 4.5 hour trip. Normally I'm cool with this, but I was exhausted and just wanted some shut eye. Did that happen, though? Nope. There was sharing of life lessons, Ritz crackers, and way too vivid female stories that strangers should never, not ever tell to other strangers. I didn't even get to pee in privacy because we had pre-planned bathroom breaks on who, when, and what time we would get up and go. If anything, I have learned the very important lesson of pretending to not speak English when necessary. It's not being cruel, it's self preservation. This is what I'm telling myself so that I don't feel bad.

Oh well. 

Since this was my first time to headquarters, the team there had planned all kinds of great team building events and get togethers. Which is great, except that some of them were dangerous. Not for me exactly, but for other people to be around me when they're happening. Like bowling. 

No one believed me when I said I've broken bowling balls, the thing that grabs the pins, or the actual floor, but I warned them. I did. I thought for sure the first time I threw the ball and it landed dead center in the middle of the lane with a loud "THWACK" they would let me get out of bowling. Nope. It wasn't until the bowling ball came flying out of my hand and landed in someone else's lane entirely that they wised up. Needless to say, once the gasping and jaw dropping had stopped, I was promptly removed from the team. 

Oh well.

Last but not least, one night I went to dinner and upon my exit I noticed that my very black work slacks had 72 million very white pieces of fuzz (in a very prominent square shaped pattern) on them from my napkin. Not only was it overwhelmingly noticeable, I had to walk like this back to my hotel, several blocks away. This is embarrassing in general, but add on the fact that 99% of the people around the city were either my peers, executives, or other business folks in black slacks without fuzz, and it can make a girl want to dye her hair and change her identity.

Oh well.

What's your mantra when things aren't going right? 
Twitter

 Related Post
Monday Mantra: Believe

Follow Me on Pinterest


No comments: