Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday Mantra: Be Uncomfortable

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Be comfortable being uncomfortable
It's all in my head
Vin Zzep Society 6

When was the last time you did something for the first time?
- Unknown

Life.

It's the most wonderful, terrifying, awesomely-crazy thing each and every single one of us has to experience- daily. We wake up. We go to work. We come home. We sleep.

We repeat. 

We find patterns. We create habits. We work in cycles of similarity. It's a happy, safe, warm and cozy place that we find and, once found, never want to walk away from. All of this is good and well and wonderful, until something shakes up our perfectly orchestrated lives and makes us re-think what we've been doing and how we've been doing it. 

I, like many others, want to be comfortable. With myself. With other people. In general. Comfort doesn't always want to spend time with me, though. Sometimes it kicks me out of it's little bubble of security and forces me into situations I hadn't planned on with people I don't know and places I've never been. 

I love and hate those times.

I used to dread being in any situation that I hadn't prepared for by mapping out a plan in my head with 12 million various scenarios. It required a lot of exhausting brain cell work and I'd be lying if I said I still don't do that sometimes. Or more than I should at this point in my life, because I've found, through these most dreaded uncomfortable moments, that those are the times I've grown by leaps and bounds. Those uncomfortable times end up turning into either great stories, great memories, or great adventures. They always, without fail, provide me with some kind of lesson. 

Lately, I feel like I've been shying away from those moments again. Which means I'm hiding out from some lessons that I most certainly need to learn. My cop-out answer for that is that I'm tired and I need about 7 million naps before I can handle anything right now, but that's not really it. I think I'm just scared to be uncomfortable again. In certain scenarios, anyway. Ask me to go to a foreign country I've never been to and I'll leave tomorrow. Try and get me to have an awkward conversation about something that I don't want to talk about and I'll make up some crazy story about being abducted by Hello Kitty looking aliens who played the "I-got-your-nose- game", but with my tongue, which is why I can't talk about certain things and am unable to use words that contain vowels. Not that I've ever used this story or one similar to it. Especially not this week or possibly last night, even.


Basically, I just need to suck it up and go get uncomfortable again. I just have to remember that it's good for me. Like liver is supposed to be. I'm still debating that one.

What makes you uncomfortable?

Related Posts


Follow Me on Pinterest


No comments: