Sunday, June 24, 2012

Monday Mantra: Replacing Memories


mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: I will replace the old with the new, the bad with the good, the unfortunate with the important


I've had many moments in life that didn't turn out quite like I hoped they would. Trips that went awry due to arguments that never ended. Special occasions spoiled by thoughtless actions. Family get-togethers ruined by family member feuds. And unfulfilled expectations of things that could have been wonderful, but were bogged down in bitterness instead.

Memories of moments that should have been important and beautiful, only to be ruined and frozen in my mind that way forever.

All these almost great things, left behind in time, bothered me. I wanted them back. I wanted a repeat. I wanted what I couldn't have.

Until one day, when I realized I could replace them.

Each and every bad memory of each and every bad moment could be replaced with a good one. A new memory. A happy one.

It all started when an event I hadn't been to in quite some time rolled back around one year. I purposely hadn't gone to it because the last time I had, it had been more than slightly awful. I finally decided enough was enough and I took one of my girl's with me, to face this memory in my mind. Not only did we have a blast and a half, but when the day was over I realized I would no longer have the old, bad memories of the prior event. I would now have this new one. This wonderful, happy, laughter filled memory of something I had put off for too long.

It's not always that easy, though, replacing what was with what you want it to have been. You can't always make it an exact replica of the time or thing you want, but you can come close.

Maybe high school was a horrible time for you. True- you can't go back, but you can make it a good time for someone else. Someone who might be having a time just as rough as yours. Someone who might need a friend, a shoulder to lean on. You can volunteer at the school or become a Big Brother or Big Sister. You can help someone through their struggles with the lessons you learned from yours. You can show them the light at the end of the tunnel and, by doing so, replace what you thought you missed out on with a new memory of something that will enrich your life, and theirs.

There is always a way to make things better, to make things new. There is always a way to find the good in the bad, the light in the dark, the beginning from the end.

You can do it. We all can, together.

I saw this picture, below, on Pinterest tonight and thought it was also appropriate. Let's all quit tripping on the past, pick up our feet, and march on to new memories.


Related Posts
Go He Said
All Over Again

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments: