Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday Mantra: Make Your Actions Count

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Make Your Actions Count. Pay it forward
Recently, this little message went viral on Facebook:

To start this year off right, I'm participating in a pay-it-forward initiative: the first five people to comment on this status with "I'm in" will receive a surprise from me at some point this year- anything from a book, a ticket, something homemade, a postcard, absolutely any surprise! There will be no warning, and it will happen when the mood comes over me and I find something that I believe would suit you and make you happy. *these five people must make the same offer in their Facebook status and distribute their own joy. Copy this onto your own profile (don't share).

My reaction: YAY/Finally/THIS. IS. AWESOME!

And: Why didn't I think of this/why didn't I do this sooner/I'm an idiot!

When I first saw the movie, Pay It Forward, not only did I turn into a puddle of tears, but I also felt this sense of wonderfulness and awe at such a simple idea. Such a simple act of kindness. If you haven't seen the movie I highly suggest you do, but I'll give you a quick run down on it. In the movie, a little boy sets out to do something helpful for three people with the agreement that they then would each need to do something for another three people. Each person that helps someone must Pay It Forward to someone else. The thought is that by passing along an act of kindness to someone and then tripling it, eventually the whole world will be helping each other out.

To honor my Facebook agreement, I'm offering this up to you. 

Send an email to me at chantellesaysblog@gmail.com and include a short list of some of your favorite things, hobbies, etc. Maybe you like going to the movies, maybe you like rap music, or tea or poems, or pina coladas and getting caught in the rain…whatever your thing is, tell me a little about yourself so I'll have a good idea of what you might like. At random, I will pick 5 names and, over the course of this next year, I'll send each person a surprise. I'll announce the winners names in a future post and will reach out to them for addresses to mail the surprises to. Some of my best shopping is done on trips to other countries so you may even get something from one of those trips!

But of course, in return, you have to Pay It Forward. You can take the above message and copy it to your Facebook account or email a group of friends (whatever you want, whatever works for you) but you have to Pay It Forward.

I'm excited to start this Pay It Forward journey with you. Let's have fun and change the world together with our random acts of kindness.


Image via DieselSC

No comments: