Monday, January 20, 2014

In the World of Wellness: Amen to Oils

Wellness is a term widely used that has multiple meanings around health and positive life style changes leading to well-being. Here we will use the term "wellness" as a means of defining a life free from disease as well as a way to explore alternative medicines, what they offer, and what this could mean for you.

Every month I'll do a post on a health and wellness related topic. This will give you a chance to explore other options, become informed, and make the best overall decision for your own well-being.


In the World of Wellness: Oils: Not just for food
Not too long ago I read this article in Cosmo and, much like the writer says about the oils, the article changed my life. I won't re-write what she said because the article is of course what inspired me to share this with all of you, but to sum it up, the author writes about her experience switching from face moisturizers to oils of all kinds.

This practice of using oil for skincare is nothing new, yet somehow it's been somewhat of a secret and has just recently grown in popularity.

While I already have more coconut oil that is humanly sane and plenty of essential oils, including the Kama Ayurveda oil I mentioned a while ago, which I still love, I hadn't really branched out from using those.Therefore, I had to go on an oil shopping spree to put her article to the full test.

I went and bought as many oils as I could find: Avocado, Apricot, Grape seed, Argan, Nighttime Baobab, Soothing Tamanu (both by Aura Cacia), and my now favorite, Seaberry by Fresh.

Ohmygoodness. How had I not done this before? Every morning and night I would try a new oil on my face and see this almost immediate glow. I stopped using my nighttime moisturize because it seemed like overkill and most days, I don't use any moisturizer during the day either. The oils (along with some sunscreen, put on prior to them) are all I need. I will note that eye cream is still essential. Getting the oils too close to the eyes tends to bring on blurry vision for the rest of the day. Not that I accidentally did that or anything.

During this time of transition from moisturizers to oils I also went and got a facial, to see if a professional would notice the difference I thought I was seeing. I will say, I'm blessed to have great skin thanks to my mom, but even with that, the last time I had a facial my skin was pretty dry and lacking luster. This time, not the case. I go to a local natural aesthetics school, SWINA, and with that you always get a student and an instructor looking at your skin. This time, both of them were blown away by how great it looked. Honestly, I've never gotten so many compliments on my skin in under 60 seconds before. And that wasn't all. Later on I heard the instructor right out my door going on and on about my face to someone else. It's clear that the ancient practice of using oils for skincare is life (and skin) changing.

If you read the Cosmo article, please note I didn't try the oils she lists at the bottom. I did try the Josie Maran argan oil she liked, but I was more impressed with Acure pure essential argan oil.

The best thing about the oils is that they last a long time because you only need a few drops. Also, I think it's important to call out some comments left on the Cosmo article. Many of the readers said they also wash their hair with oils and have other skin and body care uses that sounded pretty darn amazing.

My suggestion? Join the oil club. You will not regret it. In fact, I think you'll find your daily skincare routines to be far more exciting and luxurious.


Image via Makeup by Patricia

No comments: