Monday, June 9, 2014

Monday Mantra: Secret #1

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: The mystery of life is real
I've had Deepak Chopra's The Book of Secrets sitting on my bookshelf for, oh, at least 4 years now. A friend of mine told me it was a must read, but that I had to read it one secret at a time. Read the secret, apply the secret, then move on. This was key, he said. To truly be able to grasp what is being shared, to absorb it and see the change, you had to live it - no rushing.

Thus, I am at step one with the first secret. It couldn't have been more perfect or timely. Maybe you noticed with some of my recent posts that I've been somewhat fascinated with the mysteries of the world, the possibilities of everything. Having that conversation, which lead to me finally reading the book and to this first secret…well, there's one example that the mystery is, indeed, real. 

I won't give too much away in case you, too, would like to read the book. Instead, as I go through secret by secret (however long it may take), I will share with you what I'm discovering, what I'm working on, and why these seven secrets are important to cultivate.

Secret #1: The Mystery of Life is Real

The life you know is a thin layer of events covering a deeper reality. In the deeper reality, you are part of every event that is happening now, has ever happened, or ever will happen. In the deeper reality, you know absolutely who you are and what your purpose is. There is no confusion or conflict with any other person on earth. Your purpose in life is to help creation to expand and grow. 
When you look at yourself, you see only love.

This one is particularly fascinating to me because I think that dreams are one of the most interesting and most misunderstood mysteries of life. Not the dreams you aspire to have, but the dreams of your sleep. How they work, why they work, what they mean. For example, and as crazy as I realize this will sound, my dreams sometimes come true. It can be the next day, the next week, or a year later, but what I dreamed about has, more than a few times, happened in waking life. Most often, exactly as I dreamed it. Word for word, action for action, to a quite weird degree of accuracy. What's more interesting is that my grandmother had this same gift, shall we say. Her dreams were more symbolic that mine, though, not a clear painted picture. Right before Christmas, many years ago, she had a simple, yet very intense dream that all of the lights on the Christmas tree went out. On Christmas, her father passed away. For her, the dreams that came true always, as she liked to put it, prepared her for a loved one that was about to die. She thought of it as God helping her to deal with something that would always be difficult for her. Whatever the reason behind it, the fact is that these dreams  - mine, hers, yours - are a mystery. We have barely scratched the surface of what they mean.

With Secret #1, you're asked to identify your body's intelligence. There is a list of 10 qualities of bodily wisdom that you're supposed to uncover for yourself. They are: higher purpose, communication, awareness, acceptance, creativity, being, efficiency, connection, giving, and immortality. The book challenges you to live the wisdoms you're learning about. To do this, you must write down one quality for each of the 10 wisdoms and then act out those things you've challenged yourself to do.

To keep myself honest as I work through these, here is my list. 

1. I believe, or at least want to believe, that I am here to connect people. To the world, to the beauty of words, to life and hope and peace within themselves.
2. I will express one feeling/thought that will make someone else feel less alone.
3. I will sit quietly for 10 minutes each day.
4. I will spend 5 minutes thinking of good qualities of someone I dislike. 
5. I will have an adventure, big or small, every day.
6. I will spend 30 minutes in nature doing nothing but existing and feeling what it's like to live. 
7. I will let go of trying to find the right everything and let the right come to me.
8. I will look people in the eyes more often.
9. I will spend quality time with my friends and family (no distractions, no phone, no nonsense).
10. I will write down 5 things that I want to be remembered for.

This video is perfect proof of the wonderful mystery of life. What will you do to connect yourself to the mysteries of life and the wisdom that you have inside you already?

Image via Pinterest

No comments: