Sunday, February 5, 2012

Eat Well, Feel Good: Practically Paleo Living Review and Recipes

I had been looking into some new cookbooks, but was having a heck of a time deciding whether or not to buy them because...are you ready...there were no pictures in them. Yes, I am like a five year old who needs pictures in her cookbooks. It helps me know what the food will look like.

Instead of buying them and never using them, which is what I do without some kind of a visual aid, I found the website for Diane Frampton, who wrote Eat Well, Feel Good: Practically Paleo Living, and I tried some recipes. Honestly, not bad at all. Here are the two I've tested out.

First on the list, Paleo Pumpkin Pecan Pancakes. Just try saying that five times fast! No really, try. It's not easy.

This one was good, however, I have come to discover that I am a horrible pancake flipper. Therefore, I do not have a picture for you because, well, I am a horrible pancake flipper. I tried two batches and they didn't really look like pancakes by the time I was done. Instead I give you this photo from a coloring book. Look how lovely and pancake like it is. If any one of you are amazing pancake flippers and want to send me your picture, I will post it on here, but...I give up.

That being said, they're very good. You usually only get pumpkin flavors around Thanksgiving and Christmas, but these keep the spirit alive- for breakfast, at least. Plus, they're gluten free, all natural, and simple to make. Gotta love that. I put some sliced banana on top of mine and it was extra amazing. I also tried one batch without the pecans, which I do not recommend. The pecans really give it a little something-something.


Photo Credit: www.edupics.com
Pumpkin Pecan Pancakes
1/2 cup pumpkin canned puree (not the pie filling kind)
1/2 cup almond butter
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
2 eggs
2 TBSP honey
1 TBSP vanilla
1 TSP cinnamon
1/4 TSP ground nutmeg
My Optional Variation: 1/2 sliced banana



1. Preheat a  nonstick skillet on medium high heat.
2. Combine all ingredients and mix well.
3. Pour small round pancakes into skillet. (Small is key here. Just trust me.)
4. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes. Pancakes will start to bubble and cook on the edges when they're ready to flip. Flip and cook another minute or two.
5. Add bananas, if you so desire, and syrup. Eat.


Next up I tried Easy Chicken BLT's and look- I have a picture for you! Yay.

OK, these were gooooood. Also, easy to make. Instead of the mayo I used Vegenaise as it is a much healthier option. Up to you, of course. These are a great lunch or dinner meal. I even had one for breakfast, just because I can.

Add a romaine leaf on top and call
it a day.
Easy Chicken BLT's
Chicken from a rotisserie chicken or leftovers (I used a roasted chicken breast)
1 pound bacon
2 romaine hearts with leaves separated
2 tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup organic mayo (I used vegenaise and made it as a 1/4 cup serving instead. It was plenty.)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice from one lime

1. Cook bacon in skillet. Place cooked bacon on paper towels to drain excess fat. Set aside.
2. Mix mayo (or vegenaise) with cilantro and lime juice. Set aside.
3. Clean chicken meat off of rotisserie bird or break up left over chicken into pieces.
4. Layer each romaine lettuce leaf with a teaspoon or more of the cilantro lime mayo, a piece of bacon, some tomato, and some chicken.
5. Add the other leaf on top and chow down.





Up next to try is the Thai Coconut Chicken. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Happy Eating!

P.S. I also updated the Sunflower Seed Pate and Nori Wrap recipe with photos because, like I said, pictures make everything better. And because I finally made them again.


Related Posts
Sunflower Seed Pate and Nori Wraps
Paleo Comfort Foods: Review and Recipes
Recipes from the Gluten Free Baker and more from Paleo Comfort Foods

No comments: