Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday Mantra: Quit It!

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Quit making excuses

You know what's irritating?  People that correct your speech when you purposely meant to say that particular word or phrase that way. If bootylicious can be a word, pretty much anything I make up can be a word, too. You feel me? You know what else is irritating? Having appointments that run late, thus messing up your blogging schedule. Another thing that's irritating, and far more on topic, is people who make excuses. Like me. 

I know people who aren't necessarily good people. They're not necessarily bad people, either. They just don't always do good things or say nice things or act in nice ways. To some people. And me. And maybe random strangers who didn't even do anything wrong.

Because I have no idea what to call these people, and because I sincerely think somewhere deep down inside they're nice, I always lean towards good. I'm always trying to find something good about them. I mean, they haven't beat up any old ladies or stolen candy from babies, but does that make them more good-er than not good? More good-ish? Less than bad, but not equal to good? I don't know. And if they're not good, then what the heck are they? Kinda-sorta-maybe alright, but only on holidays and during leap year and when they know authoritative figures are watching them?

This is too complicated and my brain hurts. 

I give these sort-of-good-but-not-really-good people the benefit of the doubt too much. I'm realizing this more and more. I make excuses for them. I give them far too much leniency. I give them more chances than I should, and at the end of it all I end my argument with, "...but he/she is still a good person..."  and I have no leg to stand on based on all the non-great things they've done. I am exhausted by, well, me.

I'm tired of people that blame life on everyone and everything else. I'm sorry your boss yelled at you today. Do you think that maybe you should have actually worked? I'm sorry you feel sick after eating 20 cupcakes for dinner. Do you think maybe you shouldn't have? I'm sorry you...I'm not. I'm not sorry. You get out of life what you put into it. Work hard. Try harder. Don't quit, even if you fail 500 times. Don't blame everyone else. Don't act like you have no control over your life. Don't "just because" everything and think you can make it through.

Ugh. The fact is, there are people in my life, and probably soon-to-be out of it, that need to man or woman up. They need to get some self-awareness, act responsibly, and, quite frankly, just be nice to other people. You do not celebrate when you've made other people have a bad day. You do not. No. Bad person, bad!

No more bad people, friends. No more excuses. 

Except for this last one, which is me trying to apologize for this being so late because of my schedule. Now, no more excuses. 

Have you ever made excuses for other people? Tell me I'm not alone, people. If so, want to break the habit with me? We can go cold turkey together.

Related Post

Follow Me on Pinterest


No comments: