Fall is almost here! Kind of. Phoenix doesn't really have a traditional fall season, but I like to pretend. I start to consider wearing sweatshirts and dream about days gone by when I could build a snowman and then come inside to have hot chocolate. Since I can't do any of that in this still very summery weather, I shall instead have French Toast.
Gluten Free Pecan French Toast
Original recipe taken and modified from JennyMac Lipsmack
I've made this recipe start to finish in one day and also by letting everything soak in overnight before cooking. I found that letting it sit overnight gave it a much more soft and traditional French Toast feel. That would be my recommendation, but both ways is good!
1 loaf gluten free Pecan Rice Bread (in the refrigerated section)
1/4 cup honey
1 can coconut milk
2 TSP's vanilla
3/4 TSP salt
1 package gluten free bacon (12 slices), cooked and broken into pieces
1 1/2 olive oil
3 TBSP's honey
2 TSP's cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans
Some maple syrup
1. Cut bread into one inch pieces.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine: eggs, coconut milk, honey, vanilla, and salt. Once well mixed, add bread and coat evenly. Add bacon pieces and mix well one more time.
3. Grease a 13x9 pan and pour the mix in. Either bake immediately (for a crunchier taste) or place in fridge overnight.
Side Note: If you're using a glass baking dish, make sure you take it out and let it come to room temp. The glass can shatter in a hot oven.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Give the mix another good stir.
5. Mix the Topping ingredients together (oil, honey, cinnamon, pecans), leaving the maple syrup out. Once all is mixed well, coat the bread mix that is in the pan. It won't spread quite evenly, but that's OK. Then grab your maple syrup and give it a zig zag across the top.
6. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. When done, add a little more maple syrup to each slice, if needed, or enjoy the way it is.
A Practically Paleo Dinner with Dessert
A Paleo Lunch with Sweet Lemonade
Eat Well, Feel Good: Practically Paleo Living- Review and Recipes