Monday, December 3, 2012

Monday Mantra: Do Not Fear the Sadness

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Do not fear the sadness


I've been watching a lot of Lord of the Rings lately. I always cry at the scene where Theoden buries his son and says, "No parent should have to bury their child." I cry, not because of the movie, but because my own grandfather once said those words to me at the funeral of his own child, the last of his children, both of which he outlived.

Sometimes I feel silly crying at that. It's just a movie, after all. But it's not. It's a memory. An emotion. It's energy releasing itself and freeing me from the moment. 

I try to be a happy, upbeat person and I forget that, at times, it's fine for me to fail in that task. It's fine for me to be sad, to think back, to remember, and to let go of joy for a moment or two. I forget that it's fine to be human- frail, broken, weak at times. It's in those moments that I am reminded of my humanity. 

Do not fear the sadness in life- yours or someone else's. It is through the dark moments that we remember the light, that we appreciate the stars in the dark night sky, that we remember how wonderful the warm sun feels in the cold snow. It's those reminders that keep us in check, that keep us in an awareness of gratitude for what we do have. 

Like friends to cry with, that take you in and wrap you up in their warmth.

Like memories of good times, when moments were filled with laughter.

Like Aragorn, a hot and mysterious cloaked man, who I get to watch on the big screen every so often...it's important to be thankful for everything, that's all I'm saying.

Do not fear the sadness. Let it guide you back to happier moments. Let it free you from the pain. Let it be the knife that releases the ties that bind you.

What's your favorite feel good movie?

No comments: