Monday, October 21, 2013

Monday Mantra: Study Thyself


mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Beyond all else, study thyself

Sometimes All the time, I think too much. Recently, when I was doing this over-thinking bit, it occurred to me that I've set aside some old pieces of myself that I really enjoyed and have replaced them with pieces I don't necessarily care for. I've gotten myself comfortable in new habits when I really miss my old ones, like ordering in instead of putting on good music while cooking up a storm in the kitchen. I don't do that much these days. I miss that. I miss that version of me that fought for the hard even when easy was, well...easy.

In this so very busy, ever changing world, I've changed with it. And while change in itself is not a bad thing, it is something to pay attention to. What you decide to let change you (because truly, nothing makes you change unless you let it) and why- that's something to notice. Sometimes it means shifting right when you were going left, only later to realize that right was where you wanted to be all along. So for me, right now, it means this: I've gotten myself wrapped up in everything that means nothing to me, to who I am, and it's time to change that.

In a sleepy state one night I jotted these thoughts down. Luckily, most of them still make sense today. Tragically, I admit I am addicted to gossip magazines, but that's one of those things I'm changing...

  • Setbacks will happen- that's okay.
  • Gossip magazines are a waste of money and brain cells.
  • Too much TV is a horrible, horrible thing. Horrible!
  • Don't run away from your feelings.
  • Quit trying to make everyone else comfortable. Embrace your inner Robin*
  • It will be hard at times. It will be worth it.
  • It's okay to love yourself just the way you are. In fact, it's the best thing to do.
  • You will never be the same as you are today, good or bad. Deal with it.
  • Don't forget to be thankful for absolutely everything.
  • Water is a cure-all.
  • So is sleep.
  • Wondering what could be because of "this" or "that" is a waste of time. Either make it happen or shut up.
  • Happiness or sadness increase or decrease depending on which one you give the most attention.
  • THIS is temporary.
  • Ignore everyone else if it feels wrong, sounds stupid, or makes you uncomfortable. What's meant for you will feel good right from the start.
  • Trying is great, but doing is better.
  • It will only suck for a little while.

*The character Robin from How I Met Your Mother, who (most of the time) is her own wild, bold, Canadian self. She also sometimes yells a lot at a chick named Patrice, which is where this "quit trying to make everyone comfortable" piece comes into play.

Whew. That was a long explanation.


Image via Pinterest

No comments: