Monday, April 14, 2014

Monday Mantra: The Doomsday Mind

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: I will find the middle of All or Nothing
Bye Bye Apocalypse
Society 6
For my whole life, for as long as I can remember, I have been an All or Nothing person. It's either all good or it's all bad, it's either all going to work out or it's all going to crumble, it's either all perfect or it's all a disaster.

This, I realize, is not true to reality. It's just the way my brain is programmed. The in-between, the gray area, is what I am always and forever trying to reach.

I call this my Doomsday Mind - when you live in a place where it's All or Nothing and you leave no room for chance, no room for possibility. That means if one little things goes wrong or doesn't work out the way you want, everything will fall apart. Everything will be in ruin.

I've been tired of this way of thinking even before I was aware that I thought this way. Every time I have a relapse, shall we say, into the All or Nothing-ness of how I think, I'm swiftly reminded by my exhaustion that I've put way more energy into it than I would have if I could've just seen the middle place where everything is fine, everything is balanced, everything is just as it should be.

That there is no actual All because Nothing - no person, no idea, no plan - is perfect. Perfect does not exist.

What's meant to be will be, regardless of what we think or wish will happen. This is the middle ground. This is the way to destroy a Doomsday Mind.


No comments: