Saturday, May 7, 2011

Without You

When I was little I, like so many children out there, wanted to be a lot of different things. A teacher, singer, pianist, dog trainer, tornado chaser, tiger trainer, architect, interpreter for the deaf, tattoo shop manager, pirate, and the wife of MacGyver. You know, the usual.  No matter what my crazy, new idea was my mom and gramma always believed in me.


My mom had to raise me on her own since my dad had M.S. and died many years earlier. I know it had to have been tough at times, but she always did everything she could for me. She put me first and made me the priority in her life. I was a little rambunctious and wild as a kid and I'm sure, caused her much stress. I "ran away" once on accident. In my own defense, I didn't know I was running away. I thought I was saving my dog who had just escaped from our yard. I was five and I was on a rescue mission.


One time I tried to sell everything in our spare garage at a garage sale that we weren't actually having. It would have been very successful if the customers hadn't realized I was seven and running it on my own. Then there was the time I tried to hit her guy friend over the head with a frying pan. Yes...yes, a frying pan. You have to understand, I have always known it's my job to take care of my mom, who looks like a cross between Scarlett O'Hara and Mary Tyler Moore. She's beautiful. Just ridiculously beautiful. Over the years men have tried to go out with her, but even after all these years she's never gone on one date. If ever there were soul mates, it was my mom and dad. That being said, I took it upon myself to take out anyone I didn't like that was trying to be more than a friend and not paying attention to that particular rule...and I just didn't like this one guy who was a long time family friend, but too friendly for my taste. That's all I'm saying. She stopped me, but I tried.


This is so me except not a cat, obviously.
She is also an excellent spider killer. I cannot tell you how many times we would have screaming matches trying to kill those things. I would scream, then she would scream, then we'd both scream. Eventually after everyone, including the spider, was deaf, she would kill it. 


When I was 16 and had my first job she taught me the hard lesson of taking care of myself. I had to pay for the normal things: car insurance, gas, fun stuff I wanted, but then I had to pay for more grown up things like medical insurance and life insurance. For a long time there not only was I mad about that, but I was also pretty sure she might be out to get me. I mean really, what teenager has life insurance policies? Clearly she wasn't, but it did make me grow up fast. She would always tell me that it was up to me to take care of myself, that I should never rely on anyone to take care of me because you never know what could happen in life. They could die, leave, things could change, but as long as I had my own back I was good. Best advice ever mom, thank you.


My gramma is the most amazing woman I know. Not to make my mom seem any less important, but gramma's have wisdom that no one can have until they've become a gramma themselves. She is the most supportive, smart, funny and strong person I know. I honestly do not know what I will do when the day comes that I have to live without her. 


When I was 18 I came home from a vacation with my first tattoo. My mom freaked out. My gramma told me she thought it was awesome, which basically sums her up pretty well. My grandparents house was a place for me to play, to create, to make whatever come true that I was imagining. She would let me tear her living room apart and build forts. She's the one who taught me how to bake German pancakes and Kuchen and this amazing chocolate cake that she made for everyone's birthday. She is, and always will be, very important to me.


I also have a lot of friends who are mothers, whether it be of people or animals, and every single one of them is amazing. I am only a dog mom right now, but I learn important lessons from all my friends with human children for my future years of being a mom. I don't know how you all do it, but you do and you do it so well. Your kids are blessed to have you in their lives and I am blessed to know and learn from you. Without all of you, family and friends, I wouldn't be who I am.




Now that I've written this my mom will probably kill me, but hey, I love her and she needs to be recognized.  Good thing for me the most advanced technology she has is a cell phone and will most likely never see this. Whew. 


Happy Mother's Day everyone! I hope you take time to recognize everyone important in your life. 


Related Posts
Let Me Explain...
Sh*t My Dad Says and Stuff My Mom Does

No comments: