Monday, December 21, 2015

Monday Mantra: Reset

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: Begin again

Society6
A couple of weeks ago I was at The Fiance's work Christmas party where I pulled a classic Awkward Melia Moment. I was in the restroom, at the sink, when I heard the voice of someone I knew in one of the stalls talking to another woman at the sink near me. Not wanting to insert myself in their conversation, I continued on drying my hands. As I was turning to leave, I heard the stall open and made eye contact with the woman I knew.

This is the moment when normal people would have said "Hello" or "Hey" or any other perfectly acceptable thing like that. Apparently, I like to take things directly past normal and straight to awkward and uncomfortable, because I did neither of those things.

In those few tiny seconds of eye contact a bunch of thoughts ran through my head. Should I say hello, again, even though I just saw her outside and said hello then? That seemed redundant. I needed something new. Should I high five her? Hug her? Go in for a fist bump, perhaps? No, she was on her way to wash her hands and physical contact at that moment wouldn't help anything. The classic Grocery Store Duck and Run move popped into my head too. You know what I'm talking about. Those times you've spotted someone you know far down an aisle and you have to decide if you A) Wait for them to spot you back, like some creepy stalker or B) Yell all the way down the aisle disrupting everyone else or finally (and, let's be honest people- usually) C) get the heck out of there as silently and speedily as you can without being spotted. It was too late for that. She clearly saw me seeing her.

Instead of any of those far better things, I did this: I looked at her, smiled, did a double finger gun point, and said "Bathroom Tiiiiime."

Then, because I couldn't even stand myself at that point, I turned quickly around and quietly chastised myself all the way back to the table. When I told The Fiance what had just gone down he bursted into laughter.


All of this had led to the focus of this post: Resetting.

There are many things in life we want to re-do. Moments, actions, words we'd like to take back and do again. Since we can't, since those time machines I prayed for the last time I did something stupid still haven't been built, the only thing we can do is let go, move on, and reset.

Resetting. That's what I'm focusing on for 2016. I'm looking at all the places in my life that could use a little fine tuning, a little balancing, a little resetting.

I hope, as you look forward to the new year and all the things you want to do/change/reset, you look at those things with an open mind and kindness in your heart for yourself, for no change - no matter how large or small - is easy. I hope you find it within yourself to try - to start - and to re-start as many times as it takes to reach your goals. I hope you reach those goals.

This will be my last post for 2015 and maybe even a little longer if I'm feeling particularly lazy. We'll see, maybe I'll focus on resetting that. You all enjoy this special time with your friends and family, and I'll catch back up with you soon! Merry Whatever You Celebrate and Happy New Year!


No comments: