Monday, February 12, 2018

All Around the World: Victoria, B.C.

Victoria, B.C. 

You know how you can go to a place just once and enjoy it so much you decide that one day you might just live there? That's how Victoria was for me. I loved everything about it. Not too big, not too small. Delicious food, great shopping, amazing views. Nature all around and just the right amount of city. It's easy to see why people come here. It's easy to see why people decide to retire here. It's gorgeous.

Things To Do in Victoria, B.C.


Shop! Shop your heart out and then casually stroll back to your hotel because everything is so freaking close. The shops are unique and fun, filled with all kinds of great finds.

The best areas for shopping are: Lower Johnson Street (LoJo - Johnson Street between Wharf and Government). Fan Tan Alley is famous and worth a visit, but I have to say that the Market Square area was my favorite. To be fair, it was decorated for Halloween, so that's an automatic win for me. It was so wonderfully weird and awesome.

Saltspring Soapworks (in Fan Tan Alley)
I found the yummiest smelling body scrub at this place. The product is so fresh you have to use it within a month or it goes bad. Now that is some serious attention to quality and freshness. But here's the kicker: the item (Cranberry Orange Body Gelato) had gold shimmer in it. I came out of the shower shining brighter than a diamond, just like Rihanna always says to do. They only make it once a year (fall) so if you want to get your hands on this baby, plan accordingly.

Silk Road Tea
This store is for everyone. There's tea, body products, and a spa all at this magical little piece of heaven. My favorite thing about Silk Road Tea is the sample sizes. Can't decide which one to get because so many sound good? No problem. Get yourself the little two ounce tins and get as many samples as you want for a reasonable price.

Don't let my love of shopping make you think that's all there is to do. Oh no, no no no. Walking around Victoria is an experience all by itself. The visuals, the nature, the ooo-ing and ahh-ing you'll do. For example, these things:


Ogden Point
Holy wind, this is one heck of a lookout. My recommendation: Walk here in the late afternoon/early evening before sunset. Have yourself a snack or cup of tea at the restaurant right next to walking path, and then head on out to the point at sunset for some amazing views.

Galloping Goose Trail
Rent yourself some bikes and ride along the Galloping Goose Trail. It. Is. Beautiful. The city did one hell of a job creating this walking/biking path. You can go for miles on it, easily, with views almost everywhere you look. It was a highly enjoyable experience.

Fisherman's Wharf
Three words: Awesome boat houses. I'm talking houses floating on water of all shapes and sizes, decorated in all kinds of ways, right on the wharf. That, plus a few dining options, ferry tours, a little bit of shopping, and oh, hey, did I mention the adorable boat houses???

The whole harbor area is amazing, night and day. At night, in particular, everything lights up. The city is a gorgeous sight to behold. The Empress, the parliament building, and of course, the harbor area are all must-sees.

Russell Books
When I say this place is jam packed with books, I'm not lying. They are stacked from floor to ceiling on every level of this place, and there are many levels. Head on in for an adventure in book searching and finding.

Alright, you guys. I saved the best for last...

Sunsets at the Beach Along Dallas Road
First of all, this is not your California Movie beach. It's different, but beautiful. You want to get here for the sunset. You really, really do. Get there early enough to scope out the best views because you have a LOT of options.




Market Square...or Scare for the holiday
Russell Books
Boat Houses


Galloping Goose Trail


Gluten Free Dining in Victoria, B.C.


The Empress - High Tea
I'm going to start you out with my most favorite thing ever: tea tasting. I love, love, love trying out high tea/afternoon tea when I travel. Every place is different and every experience is amazing. The Empress took care of me in every possible way from a gluten free (GF) perspective, too. I didn't miss out on a single experience and, I have to give them credit, because the scone was impressive. Normally, GF scones can be really tricky aka hard and crumbly. But not here! The scone was soft, sweet, and delicious. The selection of teas available was impressive and - I love this -  they support their local tea store, Silk Road Tea. Win-win in my book. Note: Make sure you give them advance notice that one (or more) people need gluten free options so they can be ready.


Nubo Japanese Tapas
There are some pros and cons to this place, but the pros definitely win. There are a good amount of GF options, but finding the right server that knows them is the tricky part. However, once you do find the right person, you'll be delighted with the various options. There aren't as many as I'd like, but I still had a great time trying all kinds of new and delicious things. Make sure you get here early or you'll be waiting for sure.

Fishhook
This place was an unexpected open faced sandwich surprise of awesomeness. The menu is unique and mouthwatering and they have a lot of GF options, which always makes eating somewhere way more exciting. I enjoyed this place so much that I think about going back to Victoria just to eat here. No joke.

Blue Fox Cafe
Yet another amazing place with a boatload of GF options. The service is also noteworthy. These people take care of you. The hubs and I both got the french toast because it was so original and one-of-a-kind sounding that we had to try it. I should note, they are VERY popular so be prepared to wait. It's worth it.

Olo
Ohmygoodness, this place was not only yummy but also super cute. I had a killer steak and veggie dinner here with an excellent grilled octopus starter dish.

Crust Bakery
A must for a snack or baked breakfast goodie. All my GF friends know this: baked goods are the trickiest. So when you find a place that has multiple ridiculously good GF baked goods, you know you've hit the jackpot.


Fishhook
Nubo Japanese Tapas
Olo

I'm working on the pictures still, but I'll get the good ones loaded to my Society6 page soon for those who are interested.

No comments: