Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pay it Forward

I've never run out of clean water. I've never not had electricity for more than 2 hours, tops. I live in a state where the worst thing that mother nature can throw at us is a lot of sunshine resulting in a lot of sunburns. No earthquakes, floods, tornado's, tsunamis, or hurricanes.

Every time a disaster hits we see it, we hear about it, and we maybe, kind of feel it. Japan was just devastated and things are not looking up. This time I feel it slightly more than I have with the other ones because a friend of mine from school lives there. She's fine right now and I hope with all my heart that her and her family will be safe throughout all of this.

Pay it forward is a concept taken from a movie of the same title where a little boy randomly picks three strangers to help. In return for his help they each have to help three strangers. They must also pass the message on that those three people have to reach out to an additional three. If you're doing the math here you can just go ahead and stop... I'll make this easy for you. The more people you help, the more people they can help until suddenly everyone is helping everyone else. It's an exceptional movie and an even more exceptional concept. It doesn't even just have to apply to people. Help an animal, pick up trash, plant a tree...do three goods things any way that you can. It all adds up.

Right now you can help Japan. Living Social is offering a 100% match to contributions made to the American Red Cross. You donate $5 and they match it. I don't work for them, but I did just see it and I think it's a good start. It's easy, simple and you still have 10 hours to participate. Even if this "deal" runs out you can always reach out and help in other ways.

So right now I'm paying it forward with you. I donated and am now telling you. It's you're turn. Find three people (or more) and pass on this blog, link, or anything that you think would help make a difference. Help while you can, when you can, because you never know when you might need help yourself.

http://livingsocial.com/deals/32115-5-for-10-donation-to-red-cross-relief-efforts

No comments: