Sunday, February 5, 2012

Monday Mantra: Breathe In, Breathe Out

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: "Breathing in, I know that I am breathing in. Breathing out, I know that I am breathing out."  - Thick Nhat Hanh 
When you own your own breath, nobody can steal
your peace.  - Unknown

This week has been crazy busy. The kind of busy where I can't even contemplate how I ended up getting so busy or even develop a strategic plan around how to handle my crazy schedule for one week, let alone one day. It seems like a lot of people are in this same boat with me lately. That being said, I'm keeping this post simple. 

In moments like this I find that reminding myself to breathe is always the best remedy for pretty much everything. 

And there will be moments like this. There will be days or weeks where our schedules become incredibly time challenged and that's OK. That's life. That means we're still alive, still going, still waking up and living this crazy thing called life.

Remember - without your breath you wouldn't be able to do anything. Not one single thing. So when you feel like you can't do one more thing without going completely mad, come back to the basics. Come back to your breath. You don't have to set aside special time on your already busy schedule to breathe. You just do. You do every moment of every day without even thinking about it. Now is the time to think about it.

Close your eyes and give yourself five minutes of breathing time. Breathing in, I know that I am breathing in. Breathing out, I know that I am breathing out. Focus on your belly. With each inhale it should rise. With each exhale it should fall. This is natural breath. Do this and you'll find that you feel more calm, more ready for the next challenge, more alive with each moment. 

Repeat as necessary.

If you have more than five minutes, read this meditation and focus on it.

Breathing in, I know I am breathing in.
Breathing out, I know I am breathing out.
Breathing in, I see myself as a flower.
Breathing out, I feel fresh.
Breathing in, I see myself as a mountain
Breathing out, I feel solid.
Breathing in, I feel myself as still water.
Breathing out, I reflect things as they are.
Breathing in, I see myself as space.
Breathing out, I feel free.
Breathing in, I know that I am breathing in.
Breathing out, I know that I am breathing out.
As my in-breath grows deep,
My out breath grows slow.
Breathing in makes me calm.
Breathing out brings me ease.
With the in-breath, I smile,
With the out-breath I release.
Dwelling in the present moment,
I know this is a wonderful moment.
Feelings come and go, like clouds in a windy sky
Conscious breathing is my anchor.

Taken from www.mindfulnessmeditationcentre.org.


Related Posts
All You Need to Know is This
Silence
To Be The Best

No comments: