Sunday, February 12, 2012

Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas

I don't know about y'all, but in my opinion hummus is kind of awesome. So, when my friend sent this to me I had to give it a go. I mean really, if the chickpeas can be that good all mixed up, they have to be good with honey and cinnamon. 

And yes. They were.

In the original recipe, which can be found here, it calls for granulated sugar, but I left that option out because the honey is a good enough (and more healthy) sweetener. I also did this the hard way and cooked the chickpeas, mainly because I didn't read that part about buying them already cooked. I assume it is a million times easier to buy them canned. That being said, my friend tried it with the canned chickpeas and she thought they came out weird-ish, while she thought mine came out good, so keep that in mind.

These are great for snacking on, for kids, for a pick me up after a hard work out at the gym, or if you're just plain hungry.

Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas
2 (15 ounce) Cans - Chickpeas or 4 cups cooked chickpeas
2 TSP - Ground Cinnamon
1/4 TSP - Nutmeg
4 TSP - Olive Oil
4 TBSP - Honey (2 for baking, 2 for after they're baked)

If you are going to cook your own chickpeas, keep reading. If not, skip to step 8.

1. Soak them in water for 12 hours. 
2. Drain and transfer them to a cooking pot.
3. Cover them with two times the amount of water and bring to a boil.
4. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
5. Test them to make sure they are soft, then drain the pot.
6. The shells will be coming off, so put them in a towel and roll them around in there to loosen the shells and then rinse one more time.
7. Let them sit out and dry for a bit.
8. Preheat over to 375 degrees.
9. In a medium sized bowl mix together the oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 2 TBSP of honey. Add chickpeas and toss until coated evenly with mixture. Spread them out on a rimmed baking sheet.
10. Roast them for 35-40 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally. The chickpeas should be crunchy and no longer soft when done. 
11. Put them in a bowl with the 2 remaining TBSP of honey and coat them evenly. Lay them back out on the baking sheet to cool and dry. 
12. Eat and share with your friends. Sharing is good. 
These can be kept in an airtight container at room temp.

Related Post

No comments: