Monday, January 14, 2013

Monday Mantra: Normal

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".


Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: There is no normal

I was talking with a friend recently who kept apologizing for being "crazy". I laughed and told her she was just being normal. That we all have moments where we think we're crazy and that's actually very normal. She told me that was the first time anyone had said that to her that day- that she was normal, sane, not crazy at all.

How sad that now, in a world with so much change and color and vibrancy, do we still believe in a normal? And worse, that if we don't do this "normal" thing that can't really be defined, then we're crazy. We're abnormal. We're weird and strange and odd. We, therefore, don't fit in and must banish ourselves to some far off land where only gnomes and unicorns and other crazy people reside. Actually, that sounds like a pretty awesome place to visit. Unicorns? Sign me up!

In fact, when I get to Crazy Town I'm going to grab my unicorn, of which I've now named Homette van Awesomeness, find me a gnome, maybe a couple of trolls, and start a band called "The Funkadelic Freaks". Showtimes and locations to come soon.

Does that make me crazy? Maybe, but I'm good with it. I believe it's better to be odd and happy than to try to strive for normal and feel miserable all the time because you just can't quite reach it. You can't quite wrap your head around it. 

There is no such thing as normal. There is life, art, laughter. There is sadness and heartbreak and tears. There are good things and bad things and all around weird things, but there is no normal. 

Embrace who you are, what makes you- you, and get down with your crazy, weird, wonderful self.

What would you name your unicorn? Just curious. I'm probably not going to steal the name. Probably.

Related Post

Follow Me on Pinterest

Image via Pinterest

No comments: