Monday, February 4, 2013

Monday Mantra: One of These Days the Sky is Going to Break

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: One of these days the sky is going to break, everything will escape, and I'll know


The moment I heard Letters from the Sky, by Civil Twilight, I knew I had found a song I would love until the end of time. While the song is about love and being left behind, yet knowing that person will come back for you, I'd like to think there's more to it. That the song is about more than just someone else loving you, but about you finding what you're meant to do in this world. That it's about destiny and that, at times, we may feel separated from it, but that it will always come back to us to lead us in the right direction.

There are key phrases in the song that hold with me, even now, when I haven't listened to it in months.  There's the line, "These are only walls that hold me here", which reminds me that there's nothing holding anyone back, nothing but ourselves. That all we have to do is walk past the walls that keep us in - mental, emotional, sometimes physical -  and those walls will crumble behind us as we go.

But the one line that always stays with me is this:

One of these days the sky's gonna break
Everything will escape and I'll know

I like everything about what that verse promises. Hope. An end to a search. A finality to the answers we're always asking. And I don't know about you, but I always have a lot of questions about absolutely everything.

The reason I think of this now is because I recently saw something about pennies lying on the ground and how they're sent down to you from heaven as a way for your loved ones and the universe to say hello, we're thinking about you, I love you and I believe in you.

I don't know why that little saying struck such a cord with me, but I instantly felt guilty for ignoring all the dozens of pennies I'd seen lying around on the ground. Especially since I'd been feeling disconnected, a little lost, a little uncertain lately of my destiny, my purpose. In many ways, much like with the pennies that I had turned my back on, I felt I had also turned away from what I used to think I was meant for, thinking maybe someone else was meant for my dreams instead of me.

That same week we had thunderstorm after thunderstorm after thunderstorm. The sky was literally breaking into thousands of pieces of perfectly formed raindrops. I took that holed-up-in-the-house time and started to re-focus my energy on what I knew about myself and what I wanted out of this life. I thought about what was in my control and what wasn't, what I felt deep in my bones was meant for me and what idle things I had been pursuing instead, and I started to believe again.  In myself. In what talents I had been blessed with. In a force greater than me, leading my way. And then I started to ask for enlightenment and guidance to find my way.

Once the storms finally broke, I took my dog, Samson, out on our usual route. Not even five minutes into the walk I saw something shiny lying on the path before me. Instead of pennies from heaven - one cent pieces of promise - there was not one, but two shiny quarters on the path before me. The value of fifty pennies together, full of messages of "Hello" and "I believe in you" and "I love you, keep going".
The sky had broken and here, before me, were my shiny pieces from heaven perfectly lined up, urging me on. Here the universe and all who loved me were saying, "Welcome back to believing. You're on the right path."

My friends, when you are lost and uncertain of your way, wait for your letters from the sky. Re-focus your energy on yourself. Find the "I love you's" and the "I believe in you's" within yourself. Look inside yourself and find hope and, when you are out and about, look for your pennies from heaven as a sign of encouragement from all who support you.

Then wait for the sky to break.

P.S. I've added this thing called Disqus to the blog, which makes it much easier to comment on the posts versus using the old Blogger format. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Twitter
Facebook

Related Post

Follow Me on Pinterest

Image via Flickr

No comments: