Monday, October 20, 2014

Monday Mantra: Secret #4

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: What you seek, you already are
Society 6
Giovanni Da Re
Secret #2 was one heck of a lesson for me. Especially given the course of my crazy life these last few months. To be completely honest, it finally sank in this last week. The world is in me - I. Create. Everything. And I'm in a very creative mood these days. One of my very favorite things in life is decorating. Taking a house and making it fresh, new, different. I'm reflecting how I feel about my life. I'm creating how I want it to look - in my house. Every room is different, every space is comfortable. Every wall color is cheerful, happy, bright. This is a place of love and light. 

Before we move on, let me explain why I've skipped over Secret #3 for now. Well, um, I didn't mean to. I had the page bookmarked, I had the bones of this post all ready for #3, and somehow after all of that I still ended up reading #4 instead. I even tried to go back to #3, but I couldn't. Everything in #4 felt applicable to me right now. It was exactly what I needed to read and I can't recommend this chapter enough. There are times when the Universe (or God or whatever you believe in) points you where you need to go, and doggone it, you better pay attention. 

This is me paying attention. 

Secret #4: What You Seek, You Already Are

Seeking is a word often applied to the spiritual path, and many people are proud to call themselves seekers. Seeking is doomed because it is a chase that takes you outside of yourself. Whether the object is God or money makes no difference. Productive seeking requires that you throw out all assumptions that there is a prize to be won. 

You are starting from yourself, and it's the self that contains the answers.

Pitfalls of the Seeker
Knowing where you're going
Struggling to get there
Using someone else's map
Working to improve yourself
Setting a timetable
Waiting for a miracle 

If you avoid these pitfalls of spiritual materialism, you will be much less tempted to chase after an impossible goal. 

...Creation is thoroughly tangled, with every possible quality given some outlet for expression. People need to accept once and for all that there is only one life and each of us is free to shape it through the choices we make. Seeking can't get anyone out of the tangle because everything is tangled up. The only thing that will ever be pure and pristine is your own awareness, once you sort it out. 

Seeking is really just a way to win yourself back. If you strip away all the distractions of life, something yet remains that is you. 

The fourth secret is about meeting your real self.

On every page I found myself nodding along, found myself admitting that I've been seeking wrong. I've had a carefully mapped self-improvement course with a specific time in mind that I wanted to be "done" working on myself.  I've allowed myself to struggle with it, to follow what others have told me instead of my own inner voice, and I've definitely had my moments of giving up and waiting for something divine to just happen already. I've been so wrong. It's exhausting, you know? Sometimes I just want to call it a day and nap myself to where I should be. Turns out, I should be doing that. Kind of.

Inside of all of us is what we shall refer to as The Witness. It's that place I've talked about before where you are separated from your own thoughts. Where you act as more of an observer. I've reached that place on and off, but I've never fully lived in it. In the moments I've most needed to be The Witness, I've run the opposite direction and acted on The Ego.

To meet your real self through Secret #4, you're shown ways to avoid the pitfalls and learn how to truly seek within. You're also asked to recall situations where you felt confused or scared and to relive them by allowing the The Witness within to observe the situation, allowing the ego to run it's emotional course as needed, and then letting go. It's designed to allow you, slowly but surely, to meet your real self.

I'm going to stop seeking the way I have been. This is going to take some time and patience, but everything I need to do instead is laid out nice and neat for me to follow. As hard as it is for me to not work on a time driven goal, I now better understand why I shouldn't. At least, not for this.

How have you been seeking and what will you do differently to meet your genuine self?

No comments: