Monday, October 13, 2014

The Reflection of Shadows: Things That Cannot Be Replaced

The Reflection of Shadows
A collection of moments
by 
Melia Metikos

When I was in high school I was quiet, reserved, shy and awkward. I had a great and very loving circle of friends, but I lived in my mind a lot. At times, I felt very alone with who I thought I was and who the rest of the world wanted me to be. I felt out of place. I was most comfortable in my own thoughts and with the quiet peacefulness of books. Poetry was my choice of poison. I loved everything about it, every thought and word and puzzle that came with what the poet was trying to say.

In the back of my AP English class was an Edgar Allen Poe poster with his poem, "Alone." I read that poster every day, over and over, until I had it memorized. At that particular time in my life, I felt like Poe was the only person I could relate to.

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were - I have not seen
As others saw - I could not bring
My passions from a common spring -

Ever since I discovered poetry, it's all I've wanted to be - a poet. Of any dream I've ever had (and as you know, I've had a lot), this has been the greatest. This is the one that never dies. I originally started this blog to do just that- write my poetry, be a poet. But it turned into something else for me, something that I've really enjoyed in a different way. But now I want to bring it back home. I want to add back in the thing I love the most. I want to work on my dream.

Once a week I'll post a poem - new or old - and work on my dream.

Whatever your dream is, I hope you keep working toward it. Even if you have reached it, keep at it. Keep your dream alive.

Pastel Sunsets
Society6
Melia Metikos

Things That Cannot be Replaced

Things that cannot be replaced, 
Moments lost through time and age, 
Taken quickly, taken slow,
Regardless if you let them go.
Shades of memories haunt their place, 
Flashes of your loved one's face, 
Laughter ringing in your ears
Reducing you to stifled tears.
All things change, all things end
Some things just can't start again,
Some things have a final stage-
Things that cannot be replaced.


P. S. I started a Tumblr page a while ago for my poetry and other random thoughts. Here it is if you want to browse through it before I shut it down and move it all over here.


No comments: