Friday, January 2, 2015

The Reflection of Shadows: Repeat

The Reflection of Shadows
A collection of moments
I was looking through my poems, trying to decide which one best fit a brand new year. A brand new everything.  Instead, I came across something I wrote back when I felt like I needed to give myself a little boost in life. A note to remember, and repeat, until it all sank in.

Most of it did. Most. Not the sleep part, obviously.

I'm writing myself a new poem. A new note for the new me I've become. Another memento I can one day look back on as a milestone in my continual growth. A reminder of the lessons I've learned.



Repeat After Me 

 I will wear more colors.
 I will quit being wishy-washy and indecisive. I will make decisions, stick with them, and realize that 
really don’t have any control over what is meant to happen in life anyway.
I will honor myself and trust my intuition.
I will speak the truth as I see it and not worry about what others will think of me.
I will learn to relax and play more.
I will get more sleep! The movie/dishes/dog/laundry/email can wait. I will realize I have time and
that there is a never ending supply of tomorrows. 
I will realize that my list of to-do’s is simply a list. Not a report card on how well I did that day.
I will set aside time for myself. I will have “me dates” to eat, nap, read a book, drive in my car
singing to myself or do whatever it is I want to do just for me and by myself.
I will make it a priority to write. To work toward my goals and my dreams. To not be afraid of what
may or may not happen and to just try.
I will keep promises, large and small, that I have made to myself: To travel the world and live in its
corners so I can better understand the people, their culture, their language and lifestyles. To one day
eat chocolate covered grasshoppers just because I’m curious. To go to school and study anything and
everything that I’m curious about. To try new things at restaurants and not always order the same
thing just because I know I will like it. To have more fun in life.
I will remember that I am never too old to do any of the things I want to do in life.
I will work toward crossing off everything on my bucket list.
I will stop beating myself up for not being whatever it is I think I’m supposed to be at that particular
moment.
I will re-read this often as a reminder of the commitment I have made to myself and the things I need
to work on to get there.


No comments: