Monday, September 26, 2016

In the World of Wellness: Know Thyself

In the World of Wellness: Get to know yourself a little better

"There's always going to be part of me that's sloppy & dirty, but I like that, with all of the other parts of myself. Can you say the same about yourself fucker?"
Jennifer Lawrence as Tiffany; Silver Linings Playbook

Society6
Samantha Zaruba

Wellness isn't just about what you eat, how much exercise you get, or what cleanse you tried last week. Wellness is about your mind, your emotions- knowing yourself. It's about having awareness of who you are and what makes you think, feel, and act the way you do.

Here are some free online tests (that I have personally tried and tested) to help you get to know yourself a little better.

The Enneagram System 
You know how personality tests are: you can always connect with at least part of what the results say about who you are, but the other half...not so much. Well, this one's probably the best I've personally ever tried. It's a little complicated, but once you read through it you'll be fine. Trust me.

The Enneagram System helps you better understand your specific personality as it relates to the nine personality traits believed to be the most distinct in individuals. It's designed to help you find your most domineering personality trait. That being said, you'll find that you may have characteristics in some of the eight other areas as well, as all are interconnected to each other. This will show up in what they refer to as wings, or parts of your personality that branch off into other areas.

Once I had my results I could, rather clearly, see how I would fall into the areas I did. In fact, I agreed with the test. Then I had The Fiance take the test; his results were shockingly accurate as well. On the Enneagram Institute site you can also find out what your compatibility is with other Enneagram types, so of course I had to do that next. Once again, I was pretty blown away. I compared us both and it was ridiculously appropriate.

I've taken many, many tests like this- everything from the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator to the Gallup Strengths Finder to "What Color/Bird/Shape Are You?" I've done it all and this is the best, in my opinion.

Take the test here and read this very helpful overview.


Project Implicit Bias Testing by Harvard
After having a great diversity and inclusion talk with my Work Husband, I went looking for tests that would better help me understand my unconscious influences. What does that mean, you may be wondering? It means that no matter how well we think we know ourselves, the way we react and look at the world may very well be biased because of our perceptions. Everything from childhood memories to how we saw certain behaviors modeled has shaped our perspectives- and we aren't even aware of it or how that plays out in the way we think and act every single day.

What types of things might you be implicitly biased about? A lot more than you may expect. You may hold unconscious biases toward people of certain age groups or based on their weight, or even because of United States Presidents. That last part boggled your mind a little bit, right?

Take a variety of tests offered here and get to know yourself a whole heck of a lot better.


No comments: