Monday, September 19, 2016

Monday Mantra: Honoring Fear and Imperfection

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: You are very special. You are more than you realize, more than you fear
Society6
Andreas Lie

When I was a yoga teacher, I'd plan each of my classes around a different theme and I'd encompass yoga poses that matched that theme. For instance, if we were doing heart opening poses my theme for the night would be around love; all the ways we give, receive, and perceive love.

While everyone was seated with their eyes closed - preparing their minds for the night full of stretching and balancing, breathing and flowing - I would read them a story or quotes about love. I would help prepare them for the night. At the end of class, as I was walking them through savasana, I would tie everything together and finish out the story or the theme for the night. Like a book, open and closed.

I was going through some of my old class plans and stories and stumbled upon these two; honoring imperfection and understanding the power of fear. We can all learn a little something from both of these.

The Cracked Pot
An excerpt from The Treasure in Your Heart: Yoga and Stories for Peaceful Children

Every day, a farmer carried two pots to the river to fetch water. Each pot hung on the end of a pole across his shoulders. The pot on his right was new and perfect. The pot on his left side was older and had a crack in its side.

The new pot brought back all the water the farmer put into it. But the cracked pot leaked out water in a little trail. This went on day after day for two years. The little cracked pot felt terrible. "I am so ashamed of my imperfection!" One day, it spoke to the farmer.

"I must apologize. I only deliver half my share because I leak out water all the way back to your house. You should just get rid of me!"

The farmer said, "Do not despair. Look behind you. Do you not see those beautiful flowers along the path? Those are on the left side where I carry you. I knew about your special feature so I planted flower seeds, and you have watered those seeds as I walked home. Thanks to you, I have fresh flowers on my table. Thank you, little cracked pot. You are very special."

The Bear, The Fire, and The Snow
Shel Silverstein

"I live in fear of the snow, " said the bear.
"Whenever it's here, be sure I'll be there.
Oh, the pain and the cold,
When one's bearish and old.
I live in fear of the snow."

"I live in fear of the fire, " said the snow.
"Whenever it comes it's time I must go.
With it's yellow lick flames
Leaping higher and higher,
I live in fear of the fire."

"I live in fear of the river," said the fire.
"It can drown all my flames anytime it desires,
And the thought of the wet
Makes me sputter and shiver.
I live in fear of the river."

"I live in fear of the bear, " said the river.
"It can lap me right up, don't you know?"
While a mile away
You can hear the bear say,
"I live in fear of the snow."



No comments: