Sunday, March 11, 2012

Monday Mantra: Find the Fun

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: I will find the "fun" in everything I do
The most insane letter ever written by a child to a TV weatherman.
You MUST read this. Go here
The most wasted of all days is that in which we have not laughed.  - Nicolas Chamfort

This week I propose you find the fun in each day that you live. LOL - A lot. Maybe even try some of that ROFL. I see it as a workout with extreme happiness mixed in. Some of my very favorite memories are those in which I have laughed so hard I ended up crying my mascara off and looking a little like a raccoon.

Those memories always happen with my friends, as you may have noticed from prior stories.

For example, when my friend, Jess, was pregnant I threw her a baby shower. It was not your typical shower. The guys played video games and the girls took turns hanging upside down on the sofa making Chin People Faces. (You're going to want to try it, I promise)

Or like when we were all at a hotel once and I made the girls do what I like to refer to as The Running of the Curtains. You see, there was this big ole window with floor length curtains. A huge kind of a window that took up an entire wall. So, I decided we should run in and out of them, front to back, like it was some kind of a curtain tunnel and we were being chased by zombies.

Our most awesome adventures, however, usually happen in the car. We do a lot of singing out loud with the windows down and dancing while we drive kind of fun. And not just to normal songs, no. We mostly go for rap music, but every once in a while we throw in some really good embarrassing ones. For example, "When I Think About You I Touch Myself." To up the ante a little we always try to stop right up front at the intersection to really be able to provide the good drivers of the day with a show. I like to see this as our own personal attempt to bring joy and laughter to the entire state of AZ. Which I think we are slowly but surely succeeding in.

We have had people bust out into full on laughter in all four corners of the intersection. Others have waved and honked as we were passing them in the other lane. Some join in, if they know the song. One time there was a girl was walking across the intersection right in front of my car and hadn't noticed us...yet. She was on the phone, those darn things. When she did see us she jumped, started laughing, waived, and then explained to her friend on the phone what had just gone down as she continued to laugh, wave, and point at us.

What do these all have in common? They're normal activities.

Driving. Baby Shower. Curtains at a hotel.

We do a million things a year, all of us. The things we choose to do aren't so bad. We chose them. We enjoy them. The thing's we don't choose to do, but have to do, like laundry, are dreaded. We can trudge through them, hating every minute, or we can find the fun in them. We can make it a game. We can laugh and live and succeed in our daily lives, all at the same time.

I don't like yard work as much as, say, shopping. But I look at the good in it and I find the fun. I get a workout by doing something I have to do anyway. I can get some fresh air and sun. I can pretend I am one of the Spartans from the movie, 300, and take out my enemies- the weeds. This also may or may not be how I wounded myself recently.

Fun. It doesn't always show up in the forms you want it to, but it's there. Sometimes it's up to you to discover it. Sometimes it's up to you to create it, to re-shape it, to make it work for you. Shift your perspective on it and you shift everything, including your outlook on the day to come.

I am now off to find the fun in preparing my taxes. I'm thinking some paper airplanes are in order.

Happy Monday (Sunday Eve), gang. Go find the fun this week!

What do you do to make things more fun?
Twitter. Facebook.

Related Posts
Falling Down Stairs and Kidnapping Friends
The Adventures of Monica and Rachel
The Kindness Chronicles: The Perception of People
CeraAAH!mics Update

No comments: