Sunday, March 18, 2012

Oatmeal to Go!

Last week was oatmeal madness in my email box. My lovely friend, Jessica, had discovered all these new "Breakfast in a Jar" oatmeal recipes and had passed them along to me, thus ensuring I was starving all day at work. After I looked at what she sent me, I became hooked and had to do a massive Google search to see what other amazing oatmeal goodness was out there. Which, by the way, was a lot.

The idea is that you throw the ingredients together the night before and take to work the next day for breakfast. Easy and quick! 

I've made two so far and I've enjoyed them thoroughly. I try and avoid  dairy as much as I can, so this first one was an experiment even for me. I went with the Fage yogurt, as that's a great authentic Greek yogurt, but I think I'll skip it from here on out. I also found that stirring the ingredients all together in a jar was kind of a pain in the booty, depending on the size of the jar. Jess came up with the great idea of putting everything in a tupperware container, which worked much better, for the record.

Breakfast in a Jar
1/3 cup Fage Yogurt
1/2 cup rolled oats (Bob's Red Mill GF Oats)
1 ripe banana, sliced
A sprinkle of cinnamon for taste
1/3 cup coconut milk (the kind in the carton, not the can)
1 TBSP honey
1 1/2 TSP almond butter
1. Add all ingredients in jar and stir.
2. Put in the fridge overnight. 
3. Take out of the fridge the next morning, before you leave for work in a hurry.
4. Eat at work, making everyone else jealous and hungry.





The other one I tried, in the tupperware container, was way easier to mix. I used Bakery on Main's GF Maple Multigrain Muffin instant oatmeal. I really like this one because it has chia seeds, flax, and quinoa in it. It was amazing and I hardly had to add any other ingredients. 
Breakfast in a Tupperware Container
(Not as easy or fun to say, I know)

1 pack of instant oatmeal
1 banana, sliced
1/3 to 1/2 cup coconut milk

Follow the same steps, above, and enjoy!


There is a vast amount of recipes out there for these instant oatmeal ideas. You can add berries, mango, or raisins. Maybe throw in some maple syrup or peanut butter. I even saw one for Rocky Road Oatmeal, so maybe give that a try. Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy the deliciousness of it!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Related Posts

2 comments:

Mediocre Renaissance Man said...

I would enjoy hearing how that first one turns out without the yogurt. I avoid dairy-heavy items like yogurt and ice cream because they give me a nasty runny nose with a sore throat.

It does sound good though. :)

Oh, and now I'm really mad at Blogger because I think they removed the option to get email notifications of future comments on a post. :(

But don't worry - I just come back to check for more comments later. :)

Chantelle Says said...

I saw this yesterday and decided to try it out for you. It was good. Really good. I don't normally eat yogurt either, so I found that leaving it out was much better! :)