Sunday, March 18, 2012

Monday Mantra: Make it Great

mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation".

Every Monday I will post a new thought, idea, or focus for the week. When you need a breather from life, when you need a little inspiration, or when you're about to jump over the conference table and strangle your co-worker, remember the mantra.


Monday Mantra: I will make today great
Inscription found on a wall in Germany after the holocaust.

"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours.
- Ayn Rand
A couple of months ago my horoscope told me that on March 12th something great was going to happen, that it would be the beginning of something wonderful. Since reading that in January I have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for that day to roll around. Just waiting to see what great thing would happen. And guess what?

Nothing did. Nothing super, amazing, and awesomely stupendous happened to me.

I didn't win the Powerball or a new car or anything at all, for that matter. In fact, I had my taxes done that day and I found out I was getting less back than the year prior. Not so great, in my book. That being said, I still feel like I had a great day because I went into the day deciding, no matter what, that it would be great. I decided to focus only on the great things in my life.

The sun was out that day and the temperature was perfect. I had food in my fridge and a puppy at my feet to snuggle with. I was alive and well, and it was a great day after all. I even thought to myself that, for all I know, something great could've been happening behind the scenes, in the background of my life, that I just haven't become aware of yet. It was all in the way I chose to see the day.

There are a lot of things in life I can't control, like the weather. And the IRS. But the one thing I can control is how I feel about a situation. How I perceive something to be. I am capable of deciding how I'm affected by everything.

We all hold within ourselves this amazing ability to determine how we feel about everything- people, situations, events, life. If we decide something's awful, it is. If we decided something's fantastic, it is.If we decide not to decide then we've still made a decision.

I'm choosing to decide that my days will be only how I determine them to be. Good, bad, or otherwise. It's all up to me.

What will you decide?

Twitter. Facebook.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Related Posts
Thoughts for the Day
Silence



No comments: