Friday, November 18, 2011

Dessert Yumminess - Jess' Trifle Concoction

It's the holidays. This means you have about 272 parties to attend in a mere month and a half and on some of those days you have to be twelve places at once. Need a clone, maybe? How about some tried and true recipes to impress? I got it covered for ya.

Coming your way are all the recipes I owe you from my futile promise to bring you one recipe a week. I have already scolded myself and promise to be better at this, although I may need to scale my original promise back to simply posting recipes whenever. Then when I actually do this you all will be impressed.

Since I have failed, I am about to give you as many recipes as I can type out in the next couple of days. I'm doing finger warm up exercises right now to prepare myself.

First on the list...Jess' Trifle Concoction.

Get ready for heaven in your mouth.


I've mentioned my friend, Jess, before. You know, the one who helped me kidnap our other girlfriend and whose hubby runs the awesome gaming site? Well this lovely lady is one heck of a cook. You name it, she can make it. And she makes it delicious!

She recently came up with this recipe: The Trifle Concoction, da na na!

I made it for a family gathering at my house recently and it was Trifle madness. I kid you not. Everyone asked for the recipe, wanted to take some home, and had it for breakfast the next day (you know who you are, Uncle Phil). I understand this feeling though. When she first made it a while back I was hooked too. I referred to it as chocolate crack.

Below is her original recipe, which is amazing. Since I shouldn't really be eating gluten because it hates me, I came up with a gluten free version of it which is also good (I had people taste test to make sure it lived up to The Original - it did). You can find that one right below this one.

Try one. Try both. Be daring and try both at once. Have your own taste test! Whatever you do, just have fun with this baby.

Jess' Trifle Concoction
3/4 cup cold milk
1 pkg (4 serving size) JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding
1 tub (12 oz) Cool Whip Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
3/4 cup raspberry jam
1 box (1 lb 2.3 oz) Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix
1/4 cup water
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules or crystals
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 carton of raspberries

1. Heat over to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of 13x9 inch pan with shortening or cooking spray. In medium bowl, stir brownie mix, water, oil, and eggs until well blended. Stir coffee granules into batter. Spread in pan.

2.  Bake 28-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out almost clean. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
**Tip** A little over halfway though the baking process, pour a small amount of water over the edges of the brownie.  This will keep the edges from drying out completely and keep it super moist.

3. Cut brownies into 1 inch square. In bottom of Trifle Bowl (or any 3 qt glass bowl), place half or 1/3 of the brownie squares. (I did half for this particular bowl I used. It all depends on the bowl).

4. Mix chocolate pudding with milk using whisk. Mixture will be stiff. Add the raspberry jam and whisk until well blended.

5. Mix the 12oz tub of whipped with the chocolate-raspberry mixture.  Fold until well incorporated. Try not to over mix.

6. Continue to layer the dessert, add 1/2 or 1/3 (equal amounts of what portion of the brownies places in the bowl) of the choco-raspberry goo. Then layer the whipped topping and alternate the remaining layers. End with the whipped topping.

7. Add fresh raspberries to the top of the dessert so you can say "At least there is fruit in it!"
(This is why I love her)

8. Chill for about 3-4 hours in the fridge before serving.

Side note: The grocery store did not have any raspberries so I used strawberries. Worked fantastically.


Gluten Free Trifle Concoction
1 pkg of Zen Chocolate Pudding (4 serving cup size)
2 tubs (12 oz each) of Truwhip whipped topping
3/4 cup of St. Dalfour raspberry jam
1 box of Gluten Free Pantry Chocolate Truffle Brownie mix
1 tbsp vanilla
6 tbsp olive or coconut oil OR 7 tbsp butter, melted (Your choice. I used oil)
2 eggs
1 carton of raspberries
1/4 cup of Enjoy chocolate chips to sprinkle on top (optional)



1. Heat over to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of 13x9 inch pan with oil. In medium bowl, stir brownie mix, oil or butter, eggs, and vanilla until well blended. Spread in pan.

2.  Bake 28-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out almost clean. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours. 
**Tip** A little over halfway though the baking process, pour a small amount of water over the edges of the brownie.  This will keep the edges from drying out completely and keep it super moist.

3. Cut brownies into 1 inch square. In bottom of Trifle bowl (or any 3 qt glass bowl), place half or 1/3 of the brownie squares. (This time I only did one layer)

4. Mix all four containers of chocolate pudding with raspberry jam and whisk until well blended.

5. Mix one of the 12oz tubs of Truwhip with the chocolate-raspberry mixture.  Fold until well incorporated. Try not to over mix.

6. Continue to layer the dessert, add 1/2 or 1/3 (equal amounts of what portion of the brownies places in the bowl) of the choco-raspberry goo. Then layer the other tub of Truwhip and alternate the remaining layers of everything. End with a layer of Truwhip.

7. Add fresh raspberries to the top of the dessert so you can say "At least there is fruit in it!" 
*Optional - Sprinkle 1/4 cup of Enjoy chocolate chips on top.

8. Chill for about 3-4 hours in the fridge before serving. 

ENJOY!


Have any awesome recipes you want to share? Need help converting one to be GF? Holler at your girl. I like challenges. 
Email


Related Posts
Gluten Free Banana Bread
A Yummy GF Halloween Treat
Flourless Quinoa Chocolate Cake & Cupcakes
Chocolate Chip Blondies

No comments: