Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Love

Picture taken from www.aspieweb.net

I saw this recently in a book:

People say hate is a strong word. But so is love and they throw it around like it's nothing.

It had never occurred to me just how true that is. I love my dog and my new shoes, but the way I love them is different. So how, when I say I love materialistic things, do I then show an even deeper love for the people in my life? Have we really dumbed down love to mean...nothing? Or less, at least, than what it really should? By expressing it for every little thing have we stolen its true meaning?

The more I think about it the more I want to change it. In myself, anyway. Love shouldn't be thrown around like that. Not that love is bad, never. Love is good. But it's like anything else...you appreciate it more when you can only say it, feel it, at certain times. Christmas would certainly not be as magical or awe-inspiring if it were here every weekend. Fridays would mean nothing if every day was named Friday. Love is kind of the same. How can I justify saying I love you and mean it, from the bottom of my soul, if I can say I love this or that to a million other things every day?

Maybe...maybe I can just be more careful. Loving THINGS isn't a good idea anyway. I mean, my shoes are awesome, but I don't love them like that...so then...what is it? It's not love at all. It's a happiness. It's joy. It's a temporary pleasure. But it's not love.

So from here on out I am going to do my best to be mindful about this. To say I enjoy, like, or appreciate something. But unless I love it - really, truly, deeply love it - I will not say that. Then the things I really love, like my family and friends and the crisp feeling of autumn in the air, will mean more to me. More to them, possibly as well. Then the things I genuinely love will stand out. Then there will be a significance when I say it.

What do you love? How do you feel about this idea?
Twitter

Related Posts
Strangers...Are Kind Of Awesome Sometimes
I Know
To Be The Best
Self Mastery

No comments: