Tuesday, November 15, 2011

To Hell with To-Do Lists

If you must have a To-Do list, this should be it.
I started out this week with an incredibly long list of items I was certain I would accomplish. Among the usual things of working out, walking the dog, and keeping the house clean, were: Update blog with all the new posts I haven't had time for, enter writing competition, start budget for 2012, upload 400 pictures to computer so I can make x-mas gifts, finish house projects before guests come over for x-mas, plan yard sale for the weekend, work on the list of things I had prior to this list of things, and finishing watching Felicity.

I was a little over zealous. I had every good intention of going to bed early last night until I decided I was  Xena: Warrior Princess - of all things home office related. I was going to kick some paper pile butt.

It started out good until I got sidetracked in a conversation about supplements. From there it stemmed to me checking out new blog templates and trying to figure out why the HTML something or the other didn't want to cooperate, which then lead me to Googling what exactly this HTML thing was in the first place, which finally lead to me yelling at my poor, innocent computer and going to bed at the lovely hour of 1AM.

Needless to say I am tired.

Sooooo tired.

Tired like I went to yoga today and thought I was looking at my reflection in the mirror but it was actually someone else that wore the same shirt and pants. Tired like someone asked me how to say my middle name, which is Russian, and I gave them the very similar, yet completely wrong Spanish version.

That kind of tired.

Needless to say, I was in a terrific mood when I woke up this morning with this overwhelming desire to convert to Couch Potato-ism. There was no hope anything I needed to get done would actually get done. Today or possibly ever.

How did I get so sidetracked? Lately it seems like my normally good OCD skills of organization and list-checking-off have gone kaput. I was about to panic until I realized...it's November.

This time of the year elicits insanity in everyone except maybe Martha Stewart.

There's Thanksgiving and holiday celebrations and shopping and cleaning and preparing and...

It finally dawned on me that I needed to chill. Trying to hold myself to what I thought I could do today was only going to push me farther down the path to Crazyville. Instead, I stepped away from my computer, had myself some quiche, and took a deep breath.

In the wise words of Scarlett O'Hara, "Tomorrow is another day."

With the way I make lists, I'm going to need a heck of a lot of tomorrows.

Ever had a day like this?
Twitter

Related Posts
The Adventures of Monica and Rachel
Dear Journal
Withholding the Truth

No comments: